Quickly run out of space in Xbox One? Don’t want to delete games on Xbox One and think of adding an external hard drive to Xbox One console? This post sorts out best 10 Xbox One external hard drives, SSDs, 1TB, 2TB, 4TB, etc. from Seagate, WD, Samsung and more. You can use them to increase your Xbox One storage space.
Quick Navigation :
Xbox One storage is full, how to get more storage on Xbox One? Adding an external hard drive to your Xbox One will definitely expand the storage space of your Xbox One game console. Then you can download more new Xbox One games and don’t need to delete old games for releasing free space.
To help you solve the issue, we look through the best external hard drives in 2020 to sift these 10 best Xbox One external hard drives for you. Different capacity external hard drives for Xbox One like 1TB, 2TB, 4TB, etc. are available for your choice.
Moreover, if you’d like add a best-budget external SSD to your Xbox One game console, this post also gives you some options. Continue to check them.
What External Hard Drives Are Compatible with Xbox One
To begin with, let’s firstly check out what external hard drives are compatible with Xbox One. You can check the Xbox One requirements for external storage below.
- The external hard drive for Xbox One must be USB 3.0 compatible.
- The storage of the Xbox One external hard drive should have a storage capacity no smaller than 256GB.
- On Xbox one, only two external drives can be used at the same time.
- The external hard drive must be preformatted and have at least one partition. What’s more, Xbox One can only identify the external hard drive whose first partition is formatted with FAT32. If the external hard drive you’re going to add to Xbox One is NTFS format, you can check the below guide on how to easily convert NTFS to FAT32.
- Xbox One console will reformat the external hard drive when you set it up on Xbox One, and it will wipe all data on the drive and lock it to prevent you from using it on other devices like a PC.
Extra: How to Easily Convert NTFS to FAT32
Get MiniTool Partition Wizard Pro below. This best hard drive partition manager and converter is perfectly compatible with Windows 10/8/7/Vista/XP. It allows you to convert NTFS to FAT32 without data loss.
Step 1. Connect the best Xbox One external hard drive with your Windows (10) PC. And launch MiniTool Partition Wizard Pro.
Step 2. Select the connected external hard drive and choose the partition which is NTFS format. Right-click it and select Convert NTFS to FAT.
Step 3. Click Apply to carry out the operations.
2020 Best 10 Xbox One External Hard Drives
As for choosing the best external hard drive for Xbox One (S/X), you can either choose a HDD or SSD. HDD is cheaper and provides more large capacities, while SSD gives you faster load and transfer speed on games. SSD is normally more expensive than HDD. As for the size of Xbox One external hard drive, you can choose 1TB, 2TB, 4TB, etc. based on your own needs.
Below we list 10 best external hard drives (1TB/2TB/4TB) from brands like Seagate, Western Digital (WD), Samsung, Toshiba, SanDisk, etc. including some best budget options for you to add to your Xbox One game console. You can find and buy them on Amazon, Walmart, etc. The price offered is from Amazon and is only for your reference, it may be varied in different time and in different platforms.
2020 Best 10 Xbox One External Hard Drives 1TB
- Toshiba Canvio Basics Hard Drive 1 TB External (Portable) USB 3.0 – Black ($49.99)
- Seagate Portable 1TB External Hard Drive USB 3.0 ($44.99)
- Seagate Expansion 1TB USB 3.0 Portable ($49.99)
- Seagate Backup Plus Slim 1TB ($60.18)
- Seagate Backup Plus Ultra Slim 1TB ($79.99)
- WD 1TB Elements Portable External Hard Drive - USB 3.0 ($48.99)
- WD My Passport 1TB Portable External Hard Drive Storage USB 3.0 Black ($99.99)
- WD 1TB Black My Passport Ultra Portable External Hard Drive ($149.93)
- Silicon Power 1TB Black Rugged Portable External Hard Drive Armor A60 ($50.99)
- Toshiba Canvio Advance 1TB ($52.99)
2020 Best 10 Xbox One External Hard Drives 2TB
- Seagate Backup Plus Ultra Slim 2TB ($79.99)
- Seagate Backup Plus Slim 2TB ($69.99)
- Seagate Game Drive for Xbox 2TB Green ($79.99)
- Seagate 2TB Xbox One Game Drive ($89.99)
- Seagate Expansion Portable 2TB External Hard Drive HDD – USB 3.0 ($64.99)
- WD 2TB My Passport X for Xbox One Portable External Hard Drive, USB 3.0 ($74.95)
- WD 2TB Black My Passport Portable External Hard Drive - USB 3.0 ($79.99)
- WD 4TB My Passport Ultra Portable External Hard Drive - USB 3.0 - Black-Gray ($116.89)
- WD My Passport Ultra 2 TB Portable External USB 3.0 Hard Drive with Auto Backup, Black ($149.99)
- Toshiba Canvio Advance 2TB Portable External Hard Drive USB 3.0, White ($61.99)
- Toshiba HDTB420XK3AA Canvio Basics 2TB Portable External Hard Drive USB 3.0, Black ($62.99)
2020 10 Best Xbox One Hard Drives 4TB
- Seagate Game Drive for Xbox 4TB Green ($119.99)
- Seagate Backup Plus 4TB USB 3.0 Portable ($98.98)
- Seagate Expansion 4TB Portable External Hard Drive ($89.99)
- Seagate Portable 4TB External Hard Drive HDD ($94.99)
- Western Digital 4TB Elements Portable External Hard Drive - USB 3.0 ($99.99)
- Western Digital 4TB Black My Passport Portable External Hard Drive - USB 3.0 ($98.99)
- Toshiba Canvio Basics 4TB Portable External Hard Drive USB 3.0, Black ($94.99)
- Toshiba Canvio Advance 4TB Portable External Hard Drive USB 3.0 ($97.51)
- Fantom Drives 4TB External Hard Drive ($149.95)
- Avolusion HDDGear 4TB USB 3.0 External Xbox Gaming Hard Drive (Xbox Pre-Formatted) ($95)
2020 Top External SSD for Xbox One
- Seagate Fast SSD 500GB ($101.65)
- Seagate Game Drive for Xbox 500GB SSD External Solid State Drive, Portable USB 3.0 ($119.99)
- Seagate Game Drive for Xbox SSD 1TB Portable Solid State Drive Xbox One Console compatible USB 3.0 ($214.99)
- WD 500GB My Passport Wireless SSD External Portable Drive - WiFi USB 3.0 ($279.99)
- U32 Shadow 500GB USB-C External Solid State Drive (SSD) for Xbox One/X/S ($127.76)
- VectoTech Rapid 2TB External SSD USB 3.0 Portable Solid State Drive ($298.99)
- SanDisk 1TB Extreme Portable External SSD ($179.99)
How to Set up and Use Xbox One External Hard Drive
After you choose an external Xbox One hard drive, you can use the USB cable to connect it with your Xbox One USB port. It will auto detect the external hard drive.
Xbox One will require you to format the external hard drive and it will only be used with Xbox One console after formatting, so please make sure you’ve backed up the important data on it if you have some.
Then you can select Format storage device to format the external hard drive to let you store games and apps on it later. You can input a name for the drive.
Afterwards, select Install new things here to automatically install new games on the new Xbox One external hard drive in future. Finally, select Format storage device.
You can also transfer games from internal Xbox One hard drive to the new external hard drive.
Open Settings on Xbox One -> System -> Storage -> select the internal drive -> click Transfer -> Select items you want to transfer and choose Move selected -> select the external hard drive -> hit Move.
How to Test External Hard Disk Speed and Performance
After you bought a new external Xbox One hard drive, you can use some tools to test the disk performance like read, write and transfer speed. MiniTool Partition Wizard Free can just do this with no hassle, and output an intuitive graphic table of the test result.
Fast download and install free MiniTool Partition Wizard on Windows 10/8/7/Vista, and follow the simple steps below to carry out a disk benchmarking of your newly bought Xbox One external hard drive.
Step 1. Connect the external hard drive to your computer, and run MiniTool Partition Wizard. Select Disk Benchmark function in the tool bar.
Step 2. In Disk Benchmark window, you can select the target external hard drive, and specify the parameters for testing the disk. You can set the Transfer Size, Total Length, Queue Number, Thread Number, Test Mode, Cool Down Time.
Step 3. Finally hit Start icon to start testing the external hard disk speed. Wait a moment to let the program complete the testing, and it will show you a graphical table with the full result. You can then know what performance the new Xbox One external hard drive can deliver.
MiniTool Partition Wizard Pro – Most reliable hard disk partition manager for Windows 10/8/8.1/7/Vista/XP. Enable you to easily create/delete/format/copy/resize/extend/merge/split/wipe/align/recover partition. Space analyzer, disk benchmark, convert disk and more functions are also available.
Still have any questions about best Xbox One external hard drives, please contact [email protected].