What Is Samsung Magician and What to Do if It Fails?
About Samsung Data Migration
What is Samsung Data Migration? To put it simply, Samsung Data Migration is designed as a simple solution to help users quickly, easily, and safely migrate all of their data - including their current operating system, application software, and user data - from their existing storage device to their new Samsung SSD for hard drive upgrade. Users only need 3 steps to finish hard drive cloning: disk analysis and cloning settings, start cloning and complete. Here is a picture showing its main interface:
As Samsung is a world-famous tech company, many Samsung users use this tool to clone hard drive. However, some of them encounter "Samsung data migration cloning failed" issue. An example from Tomshardware is shown below:
I'm trying to clone my HDD onto a Samsung 840 EVO SSD. I've tried the Samsung Data Migration tool, but I keep getting an error about 20 seconds in, saying the clone had failed and giving me the following code: 400230 [061b66]. I called Samsung and the guy said they don't support Windows 8.1, so he basically gave me the runaround. I downloaded EaseUS, but it won't recognize that I've got an SSD connected (I'm using an SATA/USB cable to connect it). Any thoughts? Help would be greatly appreciated."
Are you a Samsung Data Magician user? Has it ever disappointed you to do a cloning job? Do you know why it failed? Here are the possible reasons we can find from Samsung SSD Data Migration User Manual:
1. Samsung Data Migration only works on the following conditions:
2. If the system disk is partitioned into two drives or more (e.g. "C:", "D:", and "E:" drives) with the operating system installed on the "C:" drive, only the first two drives will be cloned. The "System" partition that is created during Windows installation is automatically replicated.
3. The OEM Recovery partition created by other computer manufacturers will not be cloned unless the manufacturer is Samsung itself.
4. If there are multiple operating systems installed on the PC (e.g. Windows 7 is installed on the C drive and Windows 8 is installed on the D drive), the cloned disk may not function properly.
5. If you have instant PC recovery software installed on your system, this software may not function properly.
6. If a Source Disk is converted into a dynamic disk, the software may not function properly.
Knowing what lead to Samsung data migration cloning failed, we think you need a more powerful hard drive cloning software to do this job. Here we recommend using MiniTool Partition Wizard Pro.
Disk Cloning Software - MiniTool Partition Wizard Pro
Why MiniTool Partition Wizard Pro?
Developed by MiniTool Solution Ltd., MiniTool Partition Wizard Pro is a professional disk partition manager that can be used to cope with numbers of disk management issues, such as move/resize partition, merge/split partition, convert NTFS to FAT32 and vice versa, change cluster size, convert dynamic disk to basic, recover deleted partition, convert MBR disk to GPT and vice versa, create a bootable media, and so on, to help professional users manage hard drives better. When it comes to hard drive cloning, MiniTool Partition Wizard Pro overcomes the shortcomings of Samsung Data Migration and puts forward flexible solutions to satisfy various users' needs.
How Does MiniTool Partition Wizard Pro Help Clone Hard Drive?
MiniTool Partition Wizard Pro offers 3 options to clone hard drive, and they are: Copy Partition, Copy Disk, and Migrate System to SSD/HDD. Let's see in what situations we need these features accordingly to migrate data from one location to another.
- Copy Partition: when you only want to copy single partition or several partitions instead of the whole drive, you can use this feature. Please note that the destination location should be an unallocated space that is large enough to hold all data on the source partition.
- Copy Disk: when you want to clone the entire hard drive, you can use this feature. Copy Disk helps to copy an MBR disk to another MBR/GPT disk or to copy a GPT disk to another GPT/MBR disk, including the system disk. Please note that the destination hard drive should be a basic hard drive. If it is a dynamic disk, use "Convert Dynamic Disk to Basic Disk" feature to do the conversion first.
- Migrate OS: when you want to upgrade the system disk (example: upgrade from HDD to SSD), you can use this feature. It not only allows choosing to copy the whole disk or copy the operating system only, but also allows choosing to migrate OS from an MBR disk to another MBR/GPT disk or to migrate OS from a GPT disk to another GPT/MBR disk.
Having said all of the above, we would like to take "Migrate System to SSD/HDD" for an example to show how MiniTool Partition Wizard Pro performs to clone hard drive to SSD/HDD.
Before you start:
- Download, install and register MiniTool Partition Wizard Pro.
- Connect the target hard drive/SSD via SATA/USB and make sure it is recognized by Windows.
Step 1. At the first screen, MiniTool Partition Wizard Pro has chosen your system disk by default. Please select "Migrate System to SSD/HDD" from the tool bar.
Step 2. Immediately you will be lead to the wizard where you can choose to copy all the partitions on the disk or to copy the system required partitions only. Here we take the first option for example (if you choose the 2nd one, only the Active & System & Boot partitions will be copied). Click "Next" and go on.
Step 3. Here you need to choose a target disk. Please note it must be basic disk and should be large enough to hold all data on the source disk. And make sure you have made a backup of the important data on the target disk because all data will be cleaned. Press "Next" and continue.
Step 4. Now choose a copy option. "Fit partitions to entire disk" will take the full disk space of the target drive, and create partitions on it according to the partition size proportion of the source disk, while "copy partitions without resize" will keep the partitions size of on the source disk, which is available only when the target disk is not smaller than the source disk. Then click "Next" to move on.
Check "Align partitions to 1MB" to improve the performance of the target disk if it is an SSD or advance format disk.
Tick "Use GUID Partition Table for the target disk" if you want to employ GUID partition table on the target disk. Please note if you enable "Use GUID Partition Table", remember to change BIOS mode to UEFI when the cloning is finished.
Step 5. MiniTool Partition Wizard Pro will remind you to change the boot order in BIOS so as to boot from the new disk, just pay attention. Now click "Finish" to go back to the main interface.
Step 6. Look! The target disk (here is disk 2) will contain all partitions of the source disk (disk 1), and the disk style will be GPT. Finally, you can press "Apply" to confirm, and all operation will be finished under boot mode.
This video gives an audio-visual instruction on how to clone hard drive by using this disk clone software:
Reading here, you can see that MiniTool Partition Wizard Pro is indeed more flexible to do hard drive cloning than using Samsung Data Magician. It not only copies the first two partitions, but also copies all partitions no matter it is created by Samsung or not. Besides, its user-friendly interface really makes everything easy, no matter you are an experienced user or not.
"I used MiniTool Partition Wizard Pro to copy my system from MBR disk to GPT disk safely and easily, and I think it would definitely help you guys finish such kind of job…"Click to tweet
To those who cannot boot computer from the target disk, we believe this Why Windows Won’t Boot from the Cloned System Partition is helpful.
Other Useful Features for Windows Users
1. Bootable Media Builder: in some cases, you may encounter Windows cannot boot issue before you are able to clone system disk for hard drive upgrade. Example: Windows stuck at loading screen, boot device not found, black screen error, etc. In these cases, you can make use of "Bootable Media Builder" (snap-in feature for Partition Wizard Pro, should be prepared in advance) to create a bootable Partition Wizard to rebuild MBR, to check whether a wrong partition is set active, and to copy data before reinstalling if the system gets corrupted.
2. Partition Recovery: hard drive partitions may get lost or disappear due to these factors: human errors like wrong deletion, virus attack, sudden power outage, Windows update, and so on. Users who suffer from partition loss is eager to get the lost partition back, and "Partition Recovery" is such a good solution, which can recover lost partition altogether with data in it as long as they are not overwritten.
3. Extend Partition: low disk space warning, partition bar becomes red, Windows 10 update couldn't update system reserved partition…these are the main reasons that lead you to extend partition. MiniTool Partition Wizard Pro offers three solutions to extend partition, and they are "Move/Resize Partition" (to merge adjacent unallocated space), "Extend Partition" (to merge discontinuous free space), and "Merge Partition" (to merge adjacent partitions).
4. Convert Dynamic Disk to Basic Disk: does Windows 7 support dynamic disk? Do you think it is a trouble to manage dynamic volumes? Do you want to revert it to basic disk? MiniTool Partition Wizard Pro enables to convert dynamic disk to basic disk without deleting data, which is rather user-friendly.
5. Conversion between FAT and NTFS: PS4 doesn't read a disk? Probably it is because the hard disk is employing NTFS file system, and MiniTool Partition Wizard Pro is able to convert NTFS partition to FAT32 without losing data. Conversely, converting FAT32 to NTFS is also safe and easy by using this tool.
6. Change Cluster Size: own a hard drive with huge disk space? Then you may want to change the cluster size to bigger one. Normally, small cluster is suitable for small hard drive, and large cluster size is suitable for large hard drive, and MiniTool Partition Wizard Pro can safely change cluster size without formatting.
7. More for you to discover…
To wrap up, Samsung Data Magician is a disk cloning software for Samsung SSD, but also comes with many shortcomings, leading to Samsung data migration cloning failed sometimes. MiniTool Partition Wizard Pro is more professional in hard drive cloning and offers more flexible ways to copy partition, to migrate system to GPT disk, and even to clone the whole drive for hard drive upgrade. It is so powerful that not only Samsung SSDs are supported, but also hard drives produced by other manufactures are operable. Besides, it can deal with the cloning of RAID, external hard drive, USB flash drive, SD card, memory stick and much more. What's more, you can even use it to clone hard drive from MBR to GPT or from GPT to MBR. So we strongly recommend using MiniTool Partition Wizard to help you if Samsung data migration cloning failed.
Hopefully, the information in this post is helpful to do a backup in the daily life or when Samsung Data Magician disappoints you. Now it's your turn to have a try. Just use MiniTool Partition Wizard to start your journey. Should you have any questions towards using MiniTool Software, leave us a message in the lower comment zone or send an email to email@example.com directly. We read every thread!