Are you interested in PS5? SIE has released many PS5 system updates (beta or official). What new features will brought by these updates? In this post, MiniTool Partition Wizard will introduce them to you.
PlayStation 5 is a home electronic game console launched by Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) on November 12, 2020. To bring better game experience, this time SIE launched PS5 system beta test plan.
It opens registration to players in some regions, and then selects some registered players to push the beta version of the system, allowing them to experience the next major version update of PS5 in advance.
So far, SIE has released many updates. Most of these updates aim to improve system performance, game FPS, the support for 120Hz gaming, and other existing features. These improvements are imperceptible and some users may ignore them.
However, some PS5 system software updates will bring new features or big changes. Please keep reading to know these changes.
Are you wondering which one is better, PS4 or PS5? Don’t worry. In this post about PS4 vs PS5, you will figure out their differences and which one to choose.
1. NVNe M.2 SSD Storage Expansion
This feature is currently available to the PS5 beta system, but I believe this feature will be pushed to all PS5 users with the official version of the system in the near future.
Every PS5 console comes with an NVMe M.2 storage space expansion slot but up until now no owner has been able to make use of it, with it turned off in the console's system software. Fortunately, the beta system has unlocked this port and beta users can insert an NVMe M.2 SSD into the console.
The NVMe M.2 SSD requirements should be as follows (they may be changed in the later official version):
- Interface: PCIe Gen4 x4 M.2 NVMe SSD (M.2 SATA is not supported).
- Capacity: 250GB - 4TB.
- Heat dissipation: The M.2 SSD installed on the PS5 needs a heat sink, such as a heat sink.
- Sequential reading speed: at least 5500MB/s.
- Form factor:2 2230/2242/2260/2280/22110. Please note that if you install a heat sink on the SSD, the total width should be 25mm at most and the total height should be 11.25mm at most.
To install M.2 SSD, you should unscrew the PS5's outer plates, because there's no easy plug-and-play option just yet. In addition, SIE said it cannot guarantee that all M.2 SSD devices meeting the described specifications will work with your console and assumes no responsibility for the selection, performance or use of third-party products.
Have you got a new PS5 recently? Are you bothered by the limited storage space on PS5? Here is everything you need to know about PS5 storage expansion.
2. 3D Audio Support for Built-in TV Speakers
PS5 offers Tempest 3D Audio feature, which gives an impressive 3D surround sound audio detail. But previously, this 3D Audio format could only be accessed on headphones, with Sony specifically pushing players towards its PS5 Pulse 3D Wireless Headset.
Fortunately, this update adds support for 3D Audio on TV speakers, meaning that the average gaming TV should be able to get something to that effect.
3. UX Enhancement
PS5 system updates also bring a series of user experience improvements, for example:
- Players can personalize the Control Center more freely by rearranging or choosing which controls to hide or unhide.
- Players can easily view and write messages to friends and Parties directly from Game Base in the Control Center.
- Players can also see how many of their friends are online, busy, or offline under the Friends tab in Game Base, as well as accept, decline or cancel multiple friend requests at once.
- Different platform versions of the same game will now appear separately on the Home screen and in the “Installed” tab of the Game Library. Each game’s tile now also clearly indicates its platform.
Apart from the above ones, there are other improvements.
What can you do with a PS5 external hard drive? What’s the best external hard drive for PS5? How to use a PS5 external hard drive? Figure them out in this post.