Recently, some people report that they have encountered the boot critical file corrupt Windows 11 issue. This post from MiniTool Partition Wizard offers 4 solutions.
Boot Critical File Corrupt Windows 11/10
Have you encountered the boot critical file corrupt error on Windows 11? The specific situation is as follows:
You turn the PC on but it won’t boot. Then, it starts the automatic repair, but the automatic repair fails. It tells you that “Automatic Repair couldn’t repair your PC” and you can check the log file C:\Windows\System32\Logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt (or another path).
You go to Advanced options > Command Prompt to look at the log file. Then, you see the boot critical file corrupt error.
The specific corrupt boot critical file will vary. As far as I know, the corrupt boot critical files include:
Of course, the corrupt boot critical files also include other files. In addition, this error will occur on Windows 11, 10, 8, and 7.
This post shows you how to fix automatic repair failure caused by srttrail.txt. You can have a try.
How to Fix Boot Critical File Corrupt Windows 11/10
What to do if your boot critical file is corrupt? You can try the following solutions.
Way 1. Run CHKDSK
Sometimes, the boot critical file is corrupt due to disk errors or bad sectors. CHKDSK has measures to fix errors on the disk. It can also locate bad sectors and recover readable information. Therefore, you can try running CHKDSK to fix the boot critical file corrupt Windows 10/11 error. Here is the guide:
- Go to Advanced options > Command Prompt.
- In the Command Prompt window, type chkdsk C: / f /r and press Enter. This command will check the C drive to fix disk errors and scan for bad sectors.
- Because the target drive cannot be locked, you will be asked if you want to schedule a check for this volume at the next system reboot. Press the Y key to set up a check at the next system reboot.
Way 2. Run SFC
In most cases, to repair corrupt system files, SFC and DISM are used. However, because running DISM requires a network while the WinRE doesn’t have a network, DISM online commands can’t be used to fix the boot critical file corrupt Windows 10/11 error. Here is the guide on how to run SFC:
- Open Command Prompt.
- Type “sfc /scannow” and press Enter.
How to fix the issue SFC scannow not working? Here, this article focuses on two cases of SFC error. Try to use the following methods.
Way 3. Add the Corrupt Boot Critical File Manually
In most cases, when the boot critical file is corrupt, it will disappear from the PC. Many people report that adding the corrupt boot critical file manually will solve the issue. Here is the guide:
- Use a USB drive to create a Windows installation media.
- On a well-running Windows PC, find the boot critical file and copy it to the USB drive.
- Boot your PC with the USB drive and copy the boot critical file to your PC. Note that the location of the boot critical file should be the same as that you see in the log file.
How to copy and paste using commands? You can refer to this post: CMD Copy File: How to Copy Files in Command Prompt Windows 10/11.
Way 4. Reset or Reinstall Windows
To reset Windows, you just need to go to Troubleshoot > Reset This PC. Then, choose Keep my files. After that, follow the wizard to complete the PC reset. If this method doesn’t work, you can also try reinstalling Windows.
MiniTool Partition Wizard is an all-in-one disk management tool. It can clone hard drive, migrate OS, and recover data. If you have this need, you can try it.