If your Xbox console (include Xbox One and Xbox Series X) keeps turning off, you may get confused. Why does my Xbox keep turning off? It is vital to work it out to solve the Xbox keeps turning off issue. MiniTool tells you reasons and solutions in this post.
Why Does My Xbox Keep Turning off
Like plenty of other Xbox users, you may encounter the Xbox One/ Series X keeps turning off issue. Why does my Xbox randomly turn off? If you are seeking for answers to this question, pay attention to the content below.
Common causes for the “Xbox Series X keeps turning off” issue are summarized as follows.
- Improper settings
- Defective or unpowered controller
- Poor ventilation
- Bad power outlet
- Bad power supply
- Standby state
- Power strip issues
- Hardware issues
- Corrupted or outdate software on the Xbox console
Solutions to Xbox One/Series X Keeps Turning off
After learning why does my Xbox keep turning off by itself, you can apply these solutions to fix it.
Solution 1: Cool Down the Xbox Console
It is very likely that Xbox Series X keeps turning off due to overheating. If so, you should take actions to cool down the Xbox console.
- Clean the Xbox console regularly so that the fan can blow off warm air outside efficiently.
- Ensure proper ventilation
- If you use the Xbox console in summer, turn on your AC to let the cool air pass through the console.
- Don’t put other electronic devices on tops of, underneath, or against the sides of your console.
- Keep the Xbox console away from heat-generating and high-vibrating sources like low-frequency speakers, subwoofers, etc.
- Use the console with intervals while playing high fps games.
- Replace the thermal paste after a couple of years or after removing the cooling system.
Solution 2: Modify the Settings
If Xbox One keeps turning off after a period of inactivity, you can try adjusting the settings using the following steps to fix the issue.
Step 1: Turn on the Xbox console and press the Xbox button on the controller to enter the Home screen.
Step 2: Click on the Settings option.
Step 3: Choose Power to continue.
Step 4: Choose Turn off or restart and then configure the time that you want the console to be shut down.
How much storage does the Xbox Series X have? How to expand its space? This post will explain that and provides you with 2 ways to increase space.
Solution 3: Disable Automatic Shutdown Feature
Disabling automatic shutdown feature is available for both Xbox One and Xbox Series X consoles.
To disable the automatic shutdown feature, please refer to these steps.
Step 1: Press the Xbox button on the top part of the controller.
Step 2: Tap Profile & System from the last tab on the right side.
Step 3: Choose Settings > General.
Step 4: Select Power mode & startup.
Step 5: Click on the Turn off after option and make sure that the Don’t turn off automatically option is checked.
Xbox Series X vs Series S: which one is better? You can make a wise choice after learning the main differences between the two game consoles.
Solution 4: Install the Latest Update
Steps for Xbox One
Step 1: Likewise, press the Xbox button on the controller to get the main menu.
Step 2: Choose Settings > All Settings.
Step 3: Click on System > Updates.
Step 4: Select the Keep my console up to date option for the Console section. You need to choose Keep my games & apps up to date option for the games & apps section. After that, follow the on-screen instructions to finish the process.
Steps for Xbox Series X
Before starting the process, ensure that the console is connected to the Internet.
Step 1: Press the Xbox button to open the main menu.
Step 2: Choose Profile & System > Settings > System.
Step 3: Tap Updates to download and install the latest available update.
You can play games on both game consoles and computers. Then Xbox Series X vs PC: which to pick? This post would compare them from different aspects.
Solution 5: Factory Reset the Xbox Console
Step 1: Navigate to the Home menu of the Xbox console.
Step 2: Choose Profile & system > Settings > System > Console info.
Step 3: Select Reset console. Then you will see three options on the Reset your console screen.
- Reset and remove everything: It resets the console to factory settings. All the user data including accounts, saved games, settings, home Xbox associations, and all games and apps will be deleted after executing this option.
- Reset and keep my games & apps: It resets the OS and deletes all potentially corrupted data without deleting your games or apps. This option is recommended while troubleshooting.
- Cancel: You can safely exit from this screen by clicking this option.
Step 4: Choose an option to reset the Xbox console.