Do you want to activate Windows 8/8.1 for free? In this post, MiniTool Partition Wizard offers you free Windows 8/8.1 product keys and shows you how to activate Windows 8/8.1 with a product key. It also tells how to activate them without a product key.
How to Activate Windows 8/8.1 with a Product Key
Windows 8 was released in 2012, but the market response was not very good. Hence, in 2013, Windows 8.1, an improved version of Windows 8, was released. The mainstream support for Windows 8 ended in 2016, and that for Windows 8.1 ended in 2018. In addition, their extended support will end in 2023.
Some people may want to try Windows 8/8.1. To unlock advanced features, they need to activate Windows 8.1/8. If they didn’t enter the Windows 8/8.1 product key during the installation process, they can activate Windows 8.1/8 after the installation. Here is the guide:
- Select the Start button, type PC settings, and then select PC settings from the list of results.
- Choose Activate Windows.
- Enter your Windows 8.1/8 product key, select Next, and follow the instructions to complete the activation process.
This post offers some free Windows 7 Pro and Ultimate product keys and shows you how to activate Windows 7 with or without a product key.
Windows 8/8.1 Editions
Windows 8 has 4 editions: Windows 8 (Core), Windows 8 Pro, Windows 8 Enterprise, and Windows RT. Because Windows 8.1 is the improved version of Windows 8, its editions are the same as Windows 8’s.
- The Windows 8 Core edition contains features aimed at the home market segment and provides all of the basic new Windows 8 features.
- The Windows 8 Pro edition includes all the features of Windows 8 and additional features like the ability to receive Remote Desktop connections, the ability to participate in a Windows Server domain, Encrypting File System, Hyper-V, Virtual Hard Disk Booting, Group Policy, etc.
- The Windows 8 Enterprise edition provides all the features in Windows 8 Pro and additional features to assist with IT organization.
- The Windows RT edition is only available pre-installed on ARM-based devices such as tablet PCs.
Are you still using Windows 8? How to upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1? This post is about Windows 8 to 8.1 upgrade download and installation.
Windows 8/8.1 Product Key
Windows 8 Core product key: BN3D2-R7TKB-3YPBD-8DRP2-27GG4
Windows 8 Pro product key: NG4HW-VH26C-733KW-K6F98-J8CK4
Windows 8 Enterprise product key: 32JNW-9KQ84-P47T8-D8GGY-CWCK7
Windows 8.1 Core product key: M9Q9P-WNJJT-6PXPY-DWX8H-6XWKK
Windows 8.1 Pro product key: GCRJD-8NW9H-F2CDX-CCM8D-9D6T9
Windows 8.1 Enterprise product key: MHF9N-XY6XB-WVXMC-BTDCT-MKKG7
The Windows 8 product key can be used to activate Windows 8.1.
If you enter the Windows 8 product key when you install Windows 8.1, you will fail to go through the verification. You need to use a “temporary” Windows 8.1 product key like 27NXJ-JH9WY-KYF3K-J8DPP-9P9HP to go through the verification and complete the Windows 8.1 installation.
Then, you can use a Windows 8 product key to activate Windows 8.1.
This post tells why the error "we can't activate Windows on this device" will happen and offers you 5 ways to solve it.
How to Activate Windows 8/8.1 Without a Product Key
You can use the following 3 methods to activate Windows 8/8.1 without a product key.
Way 1. Use a Batch File
- Visit this page and copy the content.
- Create a text file and paste the content into this file.
- Click File > Save As and name the file “cmd”.
- Click the Save button to save it.
- Right-click the cmd file and choose Run as administrator.
Way 2. Use Third-Party Software
Some free third-party software can help you activate Windows 8/8.1. You can try them if all the above ways fail. If necessary, you should disable the firewall or antivirus software before running these tools.