What are Windows 11 S Mode pros and cons? Is switching out of S Mode bad? This post from MiniTool Partition Wizard will give you the answer.
What Is Windows 11 S Mode?
Windows 11 S Mode is a version of Windows 11 that’s streamlined for security and performance while providing a familiar Windows experience. To increase security, it allows only apps from Microsoft Store and requires Microsoft Edge for safe browsing.
In addition, under Windows 11 S Mode, users cannot use the installation package to install the driver, which will limit the user’s extended use of hardware in Windows 11 S mode to a certain extent. Users also cannot use PowerShell, Command Prompt, and Registry Editor.
What is S mode? How to turn on or off on Windows 11? If you are seeking for answers to these questions, read this post now!
How to Get Windows 11 S Mode?
In general, the Windows 11 S Mode is preinstalled on devices by the original equipment manufacturer. You cannot get it from Microsoft or anywhere. Of course, if your PC has Windows 10 Home S Mode, you can upgrade it to Windows 11 to get Windows 11 S Mode.
How to Switch Out of Windows 11 S Mode
Before you switch out of Windows 11 S Mode, you should know that switching out of S mode is one-way. If you switch out of S mode, you’ll need to keep using the standard version of Windows 11. You cannot go back to the Windows 11 S Mode.
If you are aware of this fact and want to switch out of Windows 11 S Mode still, you can follow the guide below:
- On your PC running Windows 11 in S mode, open Settings > System > Activation.
- Find the Switch to Windows 11 Pro section, and then select the Go to the Store link.
- On the page that appears in Microsoft Store (Switch out of S mode or a similar page), select the Get button. After you confirm this action, you’ll be able to install apps from outside Microsoft Store.
Windows 11 S Mode Pros and Cons
Is switching out of S Mode bad? Are there cons of switching out of S Mode Windows 11? You can get answers in this part.
- Augmented system performance. It disables many features so it is less resource-demanding compared to a regular Windows system.
- Enhanced cybersecurity. Because you can only install software from Microsoft Store where all apps satisfy Microsoft cybersecurity standards and the regulations of your business, malware won’t be installed.
- Streamlined device management. In S mode, users are able to manage several devices with just one click, but a central hub is needed.
- Restricts users to Microsoft Edge. Many people may prefer Google Chrome.
- Reduced number of apps available. It doesn’t allow you to install apps from websites. However, some apps might not be on Microsoft Store.
Should you switch out of Windows 11 S Mode? You can experience the Windows 11 S Mode for a period of time and then make your decision. But most people will decide to switch out of Windows 11 S Mode so that they can install the apps and drivers they want.
MiniTool Partition Wizard is a functional tool. It can recover data from hard drive, migrate OS, clone disk, recover partitions, etc. If you have this need, download it to have a try.