Some people encounter the 0x00000012 TRAP_CAUSE_UNKNOWN BSOD error on their computer. Have you also encountered the same error and don’t know how to fix it? If so, you come to the right place. This post from MiniTool Partition Wizard provides a full guide.
Causes for 0x00000012 TRAP_CAUSE_UNKNOWN BSOD Error
After investigating extensive user reports and posts, I find that the TRAP_CAUSE_UNKNOWN error can be caused by various reasons. Here are some of them:
- Insufficient storage space.
- Incompatible drivers with Windows OS.
- Virus and malware infection.
- Corruption in Random Access Memory.
- Damaged hard disk.
- Corrupted system files.
- Too many temporary and junk files.
How to Fix 0x00000012 TRAP_CAUSE_UNKNOWN?
Fix 1. Try Some Basic Tricks
Before you try other fixes, you can try some basic tricks and they may help you fix the TRAP_CAUSE_UNKNOWN error successfully.
- Uninstall the recently installed app
- Update Windows and drivers
- Scan for viruses and malware
Fix 2. Run SFC and DISM
If there are some corrupted system files on your computer, you may also encounter the error code 0x00000012. In this case, you can run SFC and DISM to fix the error. To perform them, you can refer to these posts:
- The Detailed Information about System File Checker Windows 10
- How To Use The DISM Restore Health Command To Repair Windows
- How To Use The DISM Command Tool In Windows 11
Fix 3. Run CHKDSK Utility
A damaged hard disk can also cause the 0x00000012 TRAP_CAUSE_UNKNOWN BSOD error. In this situation, you can run the CHKDSK utility to fix the error. Here’s the way:
- Run Command Prompt as administrator.
- Type “chkdsk c:/ f” and press Enter.
- Wait until the process is over and restart your computer. Check if the error has been resolved.
In addition, you can also use MiniTool Partition Wizard. It is a professional and functional partition software that can help you check for disk errors, partition hard drive, convert MBR to GPT, do data recovery, and so on.
Fix 4. Run Disk Cleanup Utility
If you haven’t cleaned the temporary and junk files on your PC for a long time, they may cause errors on your PC including the error code 0x00000012. So, you can try running the Disk Cleanup utility to fix the error. Here’s the way:
- Open the Run window, type “cleanmgr” and press Enter.
- Select C: drive and click OK.
- Then click Clean up system files.
- Select C: drive again and press Enter.
- Tick all the options except Downloads, and then click the OK button.
Fix 5. Run Windows Memory Diagnostic
If there is any corruption in Random Access Memory, you can also encounter the error code 0x00000012. In this situation, you can run Windows Memory Diagnostic to fix the error. Here’s the guide:
- Open the Search window, type “memory” and press Enter to open Windows Memory Diagnostic window.
- Click Restart now and check for problems (recommended).
- Wait for the scanning process to complete.
- Once done, check if the error still persists.
Fix 6. Run System Restore
If none of the above fixes can help you fix the 0x00000012 TRAP_CAUSE_UNKNOWN BSOD error, you can try running System Restore to get back to the point when the error hasn’t occurred. Here’s how to do it:
- Reboot your PC to enter Safe Mode.
- Press the Windows and R keys simultaneously to open the Run window.
- Type “rstrui.exe” in the box and press Enter.
- Click Next, and you can find all the restore points you have created on your Windows computer to date.
- Select one restore point, and then click Next.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the restore process.
Have A Try Now
This post provides 6 effective fixes to get rid of the 0x00000012 TRAP_CAUSE_UNKNOWN BSOD error. You can try them one by one until you fix the error successfully.