2 Ways to Restore Computer to Earlier Date in Windows 10
Summary: Windows OS is corrupted? System disk failure appears in Windows 10/8/7? How to get rid of the bad situations to ensure your computer can run normally? To restore computer to earlier date can be an ideal solution provided that you have a system backup created by third-party backup & restore software – MiniTool ShadowMaker or Windows 10 system restore point.
Restore Computer to Earlier Date Windows 10 Is Imperative
As is well known, Windows 10 operating system has been released for a period of time. As the newest OS, compared to the previous OS versions, it gains some improvement in some features. In spite of this, system corruption or system failure happens to you now and then, for example, Windows reset stuck issue, black screen or blue screen, upgrade errors and so forth.
To be specific, the factors leading to system corruption/failure are various, more on this later:
1. Virus infection: Have you experienced the serve virus attack called WannaCry? Once the ransomware invades your computer, you only reinstall OS to get rid of extortion, but the vital files are unrecoverable. Nevertheless, if you have created a backup of the system disk, to restore Windows 10 to earlier date can be an ideal option.
2. Hard drive failure: Each hard disk has a finite life. Then once your system disk gets damaged, Windows 10 will fail to boot.
3. Mistaken operation: You accidentally delete some system boot files, do a system upgrade or modify the registry, causing unbootable OS.
4. Application installation: Some simple operations including installation and uninstall may lead to system crash.
Once your computer suffers from one of the above cases, how do you handle system failure? Actually, it is very easy to let your computer run normally on condition that there is a system backup or system disk backup, or you have made a restore point in advance. Then, you can restore computer to previous date. How can you achieve this aim in Windows 10/8/7? Let's look at some details.
How to Restore Computer to Earlier Date Windows 10/8/7
Specifically, restoring the computer to earlier date can also be called to restore your computer's system to an earlier point of time. Usually, a system image or system restore point can be used to do this job. How do I restore my computer to an earlier date in Windows 10/8/7? This issue is always asked by many persons. If you are also looking for the answer, read the following content now.
① Use MiniTool ShadowMaker to Restore Windows 10 to Earlier Date
Under normal circumstances, the system image file is used to do Windows 10 system restore to a previous state in case system issues appear. Using professional backup software to create a system image is a perfect option. Which one is straight and effective? An ideal backup & recovery solution should be as easy-to-use as possible. And here it is worth recommending MiniTool ShadowMaker to restore your computer to an earlier date in Windows 10/8/7.
This tool is a brand new backup and restore solution and it is compatible with Windows 10/8/7 all versions. By means of it, you can deal with many backup tasks well, such as system backup, partition backup, and disk backup. More importantly, schedule backup, incremental backup, and different backup are available. As to computer recovery, this professional software enables you to enter WinPE (Windows Preinstallation Environment) to restore your Windows 10 to a correct state with a bootable media created by MiniTool ShadowMaker. From this information, you know to use MiniTool ShadowMaker is really essential.
When searching the related topic online, you can find two common questions asked by many users: What is a system image in Windows 10/8/7? How do I create a system image in Windows 10? Get the answers now.
In one word, system image refers to an exact copy of all system partitions used to restore your computer to the state it was in when the image was created. This image holds Windows 10 itself, system specific essential files, settings and programs. With this image file, you can restore computer to earlier date Windows 10/8/7.
As for the system backup operation, follow the steps as shown below:
Step 1: Free download MiniTool ShadowMaker, install it on your computer, then start the program. Then you will enter a page where you are asked to choose a computer to manage. Local or Remote backup? More often than not, you should click the first Connect in the Local section.
Step 2: Go to the Backup page, you see MiniTool ShadowMaker will automatically detect all system related drives in the current operating system in Source section. So, you only need to choose the location to store the system image file to. It should be noted that backing up to an external hard drive is worthy of being recommended in Windows 10/8/7.
As for the disk containing system drives and data partitions, you had better back up the entire system disk since you never know when hard drive failure happens. Not to mention, disk data recovery is expensive. Just select all partitions in Source section.
Step 3: After finishing the backup settings, just click Back up Now to start Windows system image backup.
After a few minutes, the backup operation will be completed. Then, when there is something wrong with your Windows operating system, the system image file is quite useful to restore your computer to a previous state. Then, you probably ask us: how do I restore my computer to an earlier date in Windows 10/8/7? Just continue reading the content below.
For the most part, while your Windows 10/8/7 is unable to boot successfully, you choose to recover the system backup image stored on an external hard drive to the original system location. In this case, MiniTool ShadowMaker only enables you to do this system restore in WinPE. So, how do you make this system restore in WinPE?
Fortunately, you should make full use of the feature called Media Builder with this professional software. Then just do two things to enter WinPE:
1. Go to Tools tab, create a bootable disc including CD/DVD or USB flash drive with Media Builder. To learn more details, see How to Build Boot CD/DVD Discs and Boot Flash Drive with Bootable Media Builder.
2. Then configure your computer in BIOS and ensure it boot from the bootable media. For more detailed steps, read How to Boot from Burned MiniTool Bootable CD/DVD Discs or USB Flash Drive.
Then you can start to restore Windows 10 to earlier date in WinPE. Now, let's come straight to the point.
In WinPE, the drive letters of some partitions are different from what they are in Windows. Please identify the backup task depending on some information, for instance, backup version, partition size, the partitions included in the backup file.
Step 1: After your computer enters WinPE, MiniTool ShadowMaker will run by itself. Then go to Restore page, you will see all backup tasks are listed here. Just choose the correct one you need to restore.
Step 2: Then you can choose the backup version you want to restore.
Step 3: All the partitions included in the selected backup version will be shown here and you will find all these partitions are checked by default. For system backup, all system drives should be checked. As for disk backup, you can uncheck the data partition you needn't.
Step 4: Then in the pop-out window, choose a target disk to restore. Please note that you can't restore the backup image to the hard drive containing backup files. Usually, the system disk is selected. Then click Start to go on the restoration operation.
Then a warning will appear showing you which partition will be overwritten by an image.
Tip: MiniTool ShadowMaker always restores the image to the same location with original system partition. Therefore, to choose system disk as the target disk is worth recommending.
Step 5: Then you will go to an interface showing the operation progress. This operation will last a few minutes. Suppose that you wouldn't like to wait, to check Shut down the computer when the operation is completed is needful.
Now we show you how to back up your system and how to restore computer to earlier date in Windows 10/8/7 with MiniTool ShadowMaker. If you are looking for such backup & restore software, download MiniTool ShadowMaker now.
② Use System Restore Point to Restore Computer to Earlier Date Windows 10/8/7
In addition to using a piece of third-party software for Windows 10 system restore, the Windows built-in tool is still available. This way is to use the system restore point created beforehand.
1. In Windows 10, search system restore in the Search box and click Create a restore point from the result list.
2. In System Properties dialog box, you should first enable system protection and then you can create a restore point. Just click Configure and check Turn on system protection. And you can adjust the disk space used for system protection by dragging the handle.
Note: The old restore points will be deleted when the new one is created.
3. Then click Create to start to create the restore point.
1. Whenever you want to restore your computer from a system restore point, just in System Protection tab, click System Restore to begin system restore in Windows 10. Then click Next button.
2. The newest restore point you have created will be listed here. Just select it and click Next to continue.
3. Then you need to confirm the restore point. After clicking Finish, a warning will tell you the restore process can't be interrupted once it starts.
If your computer fails to boot, you can't restore from a system restore point in Windows 10. In this case, you can do Windows 10 recovery boot. How to restore Windows 10 from boot? Just enter safe mode to do this operation.
1. Navigate to Choose an option > Troubleshoot > Advanced options > System Restore to restore computer to earlier date in Windows 10.
2. Tap on an administrator account, enter the password and click Continue.
3. Then perform a system restore operation following the instructions.
For more information about Windows 10 system restore, see How to Do a System Restore of Windows 10.
However, when using system restore point to restore your computer to earlier date, your computer probably encounters system restore Windows 10 stuck issue and fails to finish the system restore. When asking "how long system restore for Windows 10 takes", you must experience a failure for a long time. In this case, using the system image created by MiniTool ShadowMaker to restore your computer to an earlier date is worthy of being recommended.
In this post, we tell you the necessity to restore computer to earlier date Windows 10/8/7, how to back up system and restore with MiniTool ShadowMaker, and how to create a restore point and do Windows 10 system restore with Windows snap-in tool. By contrast, MiniTool ShadowMaker is more easy-to-use and powerful. As for the snap-in in Windows, it is easy to go wrong. Free download MiniTool ShadowMaker to have a try now.
Suppose that you have some questions when using MiniTool ShadowMaker, please feel free to tell us via the email email@example.com. At the same time, a comment zone is provided to you on this post page. Besides, some suggestions or ideas are appreciated here.