Do you need to cast/mirror phone to TV? This post from MiniTool Partition Wizard tells you the differences between screen casting and screen mirroring, and shows you how to cast or mirror Android/iPhone to TV.
Screen Casting vs Screen Mirroring
How to stream from phone to TV to display your content on a bigger screen? Screen casting and screen mirroring are two commonly-used methods. The two technologies are very similar. Both of them allow you to share online content from a phone, tablet, or computer onto a TV or other screens.
However, Screen Casting doesn’t allow you to see the content on both devices. For example, if you cast content from your phone to your TV, you will only see it on your TV. As for Screen Mirroring, you can see the content on both devices and whatever you see on one device is exactly what you see happening on the other.
How to Cast Phone to TV
In this part, I will show you how to cast from Android/iPhone to TV.
How to Cast iPhone to TV
If you have an Apple TV or AirPlay 2-compatible smart TV, you can easily cast your iPhone to it through AirPlay. Here is the guide:
- Connect your device to the same Wi-Fi network as your Apple TV or AirPlay 2-compatible smart TV.
- Find the content that you want to stream.
- Tap AirPlay. In some apps, you might need to tap a share button first and then tap AirPlay.
- Choose your Apple TV or AirPlay 2-compatible smart TV.
How to Cast Android Phone to TV
If your TV can access the internet and stream content from apps like Netflix, Hulu, or YouTube, then you may be able to send video directly to your TV from your phone. Here is the guide:
- Connect your smart TV and your phone to the same Wi-Fi network.
- Open a video in your preferred app, then tap the Cast
- Select your TV from the list.
- You’ll see your video playing on your TV.
If you are wondering that how to turn screen mirroring off, this post is suitable for you. It shows you how to turn off screen mirroring on different devices.
Cast Android/iPhone Phone to TV via a Streaming Media Player
If you can’t use the above methods to cast your phone to TV and you have a streaming media player like Roku, Chromecast, or Amazon Fire TV, you can use this method.
Cast from phone to Roku:
- Confirm that your Roku and phone are connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
- Use your Roku remote to navigate to Settings > System > Screen Mirroring. Make sure it is on.
- Confirm that the streaming app you want to use, like YouTube or Netflix, is installed on Roku as well as your phone.
- Open the streaming app on your phone and select the video you want to cast.
- Tap the Cast icon inside the app, and then select your Roku when asked to choose a device.
Cast from Phone to Chromecast:
- Make sure your Chromecast and phone are on the same Wi-Fi network.
- Open a streaming app on your phone and pick a video to watch.
- While it's playing, tap the Cast icon inside the app and select your Chromecast.
Cast from phone to Amazon Fire TV:
- Connect your Android and Fire TV devices to the same Wi-Fi network.
- Hold down the Home button on your Fire TV remote until a menu pops up.
- Select Mirroring.
- Open Settings and select Connected devices > Cast.
iOS devices don’t support screen mirroring on your Fire TV device.
This post shows you how to download and set up Chromecast on Windows 10 PC.
How to Mirror Phone to TV
How to Mirror iPhone to TV
If your TV is compatible with AirPlay, screen mirroring iPhone to TV will be an easy job. Here is the guide:
- Connect your iPhone to the same Wi-Fi network as your TV.
- Swipe up from the bottom edge of the screen or swipe down from the upper-right corner of the screen to open Control Center.
- Tap Screen Mirroring.
- Select your TV from the list.
- If an AirPlay passcode appears on your TV screen, enter the passcode on your iOS or iPadOS device.
How to Mirror Android to TV
In most cases, screen mirroring Android to TV is similar to casting Android to TV. They are applied using the same feature. Taking Samsung TV as an example, it mirrors and casts phones to TV via the same feature —Smart View.
Therefore, you can also try the above screen casting methods to screen mirror your phone to TV. In addition, you can also use a USB or HDMI cable to screen mirror your phone to a TV.