Many users report that they have encountered system thread exception not handled error. Do you know what you should do to avoid data loss from system crash caused by this error and how to solve this error? This article will give you answers.
What Is System Thread Exception Not Handled Error
What is system thread exception not handled error? Actually, it is a BSOD error message. Sometimes, it is possible that the SYSTEM_ THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED error is followed by faulty file's name like atikmdag.sys, nvlddmkm.sys, nwifi.sys, CMUDA.sys, etc.
The stop code of system thread exception not handled error is usually 0x0000007E or 0x1000007E. They indicate that a system thread generated an exception that the error handler did not catch. And the exceptions are various.
Generally speaking, stop code SYSTEM_ THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED is caused by incompatible drivers, system incompatibility, memory conflicts, IRQ conflicts, etc. As for how to fix system thread exception not handled error, the common methods are shown below.
Fix 1. Check Error Log File
This method requires you to enter Windows or Safe Mode. Here is a tutorial for booting into safe mode.
Step 1: Boot into WinRE.
Step 2: Boot into Safe Mode.
- Navigate to Troubleshoot > Advanced options after you enter WinRE.
- Click Startup Settings and wait for a while.
- Press F5 key to choose Enable Safe Mode with Networking option, thus booting into safe mode.
After the computer boot into Windows or safe mode, you can check the system log first to attempt to identify the device or driver that is causing system thread exception not handled Windows 10.
Here is a tutorial for checking system log.
Step 1: Open Event Viewer.
- Press "Windows + R" keys.
- Enter "eventvwr" in the run box.
- Click OK
Step 2: Identify the device or driver that is causing blue screen.
- Navigate to Windows Logs > System.
- Find the error to see information about it.
Then, you can adopt measures accordingly to solve this issue. Surely, sometimes, the culprit has been identified automatically. For example, when SYSTEM_ THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED error is followed by atikmdag.sys, nvlddmkm.sys, nwifi.sys, or CMUDA.sys, it means that this error is caused by these driver files.
This post tells how to mine cryptocurrency on a PC and recommends some tools you may need when mining Bitcoin, Bitcoin, and Dogecoin.
Fix 2. Update, Roll Back, or Reinstall Drivers
This method also requires you to enter Windows or Safe Mode. It is used to solve driver incompatibility, which can cause Windows 10 system thread exception not handled error.
Here is a tutorial for updating, rolling back, and reinstalling drivers.
Step 1: Open Device Manager.
- Press "Windows + X" keys.
- Select Device Manager in the pop-up menu.
Step 2: Update, roll back, or reinstall drivers (especially drivers related to graphic cards, network card, sound cards, etc.).
- Expand the directory and right click a driver to select Update driver.
- Select Search automatically for updated driver software in the pop-up window.
Roll back drivers:
- Expand the directory and right click a driver to select Properties.
- Skip to Driver tab and click Roll Back Driver.
- Choose a reason and click Yes.
- Uninstall device first.
- Find a driver on the device manufacturer's website and follow its instruction to install it.
Fix 3. Run Memory Diagnosis
Memory diagnosis will check and fix any detected logical memory problem. Please refer to the following steps:
Step 1: Enter Windows or Safe Mode.
Step 2: Perform memory diagnosis.
- Press "Windows + R" keys and type "mdsched.exe" in to run box.
- Select "Restart now and check for problems" after the Windows Memory Diagnostic program pops up.
- Wait until the computer finish memory diagnosis. This process will usually take a few minutes.
Step 3: Check the result in Event Viewer.
Fix 4. Update Firmware
Firmware upgrade can solve existing bugs and some hardware incompatibility issues. It can improve computer stability. If you can find the correct BIOS version, you can use this method no matter whether the computer can boot into Safe Mode.
How to update firmware? Here is a brief tutorial.
Step 1: Check current BIOS version.
- Press "Windows + R" keys.
- Enter "msconfig" in run box and click OK button to open System Configuration.
- Skip to Tools
- Highlight System Information and click Launch.
- Then, remember BIOS Version/Date
Step 2: Download correct new BIOS version on the manufacture website.
Step 3: Plug in USB containing the new BIOS version and enter BIOS to update firmware.
The firmware update is more complicated than the above brief tutorial. Please search for more information about it before you actually upgrade firmware.
Besides, firmware can solve IRQ conflict by adjusting IRQ manually in BIOS. What is IRQ conflict? IRQ is short for Interrupt Request, which is used to stop the working state of related hardware. The number of IRQ is limited. If two devices are configured with the same IRQ, IRQ conflict may happen.
As for memory conflict, this problem may happen when you plug two memory banks in the computer. You can remove one to solve it.
Fix 5. Repair System Files
Windows 10 system thread exception not handled error may be caused by corrupted system files. You can repair them through running SFC and DISM programs. This method is applicable no matter whether the computer can boot into Safe Mode.
Here is a guide to SFC.
Step 1: Open Command Prompt as administrator.
In Safe Mode:
- Enter "command prompt" in Windows search box.
- Right click the Command Prompt icon and select Run as administrator.
When the computer can't boot:
- Navigate to Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Command Prompt.
Step 2: Type "sfc /scannow" and press Enter key. Then, wait until the procedure ends.
SFC command just replaces damaged, lost, or changed system files. If Windows 10 system thread exception not handled error persists after SFC, you can run DISM command to restore system files.
Here is a guide to DISM.
Step 1: Open Command Prompt and run it as administrator.
Step 2: Type the following commands one by one.
- exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth
- exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
Fix 6. System Restore
If the above methods can't solve stop code system thread exception not handled, you can try system restore to revert your computer to the latest correct version.
Fix 7. Reinstall OS
If the above methods can't solve system thread exception not handled Windows 10, you can try clean reinstallation of OS to solve it. Some users report that they have solved system thread exception not handled error through this method.
If you perform clean reinstallation of OS, you must use MiniTool Partition Wizard to back up or recover data in advance. Click backup partition for detailed steps.
As for clean install steps, you can refer to install Windows 10 on a new hard drive.
Finally, you can set the boot sequence in BIOS to make the computer boot up from the new System disk.
You can regard the old disk as a data disk. Surely, if you just want the old disk to be your system disk, you can migrate OS back after you formatted the old disk. Thus, there is no problematic file to disturb the stable operation of operating system.
Recover Data from SYSTEM_ THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED Crash
When system thread exception not handled Windows 10 happens and you can't boot your computer into Windows, you can use MiniTool Partition Wizard to recover your data. Surely, if your computer can boot into Windows and you find your data is lost, you can also try it to recover data.
Here is a tutorial on how to recover data when the computer can't boot.
Step 1: Activate Bootable Media feature of MiniTool Partition Wizard.
- Buy MiniTool Partition Wizard and launch it on a normal running computer.
- Click Bootable Media on the toolbar.
Step 2: Follow the wizard and choose a media destination.
- USB Flash Drive (recommended): You can choose this option if you have a USB plugged in the computer. The boot.iso file will be burnt into the USB drive directly to complete a bootable disk.
- CD/DVD Writer: You can choose this option if the normal running computer and your computer all support CD/DVD recording.
- ISO File: This option will generate the boot.iso file on the computer. But you should burn it into a USB flash drive later to complete a bootable disk.
Step 3: Set the Firmware to make the computer boot from the disk containing the burnt boot.iso file
- Plug the bootable disk into the computer that can't boot.
- Follow the wizard that appears on the screen when you just power on system to enter BIOS.
- Set Removable Devices or CD-ROM Devices at the first place of boot sequence. And then boot computer.
Step 4: Activate Data Recovery feature.
- Wait a few seconds without any operations until MiniTool Partition Wizard opens automatically after the computer is booted up.
- Go to its main interface by clicking Partition & Disk Management.
- Click Data Recovery.
Step 5: Choose logical drive E (the actual system partition) and then click Scan.
Settings: This feature allows you to limit scanning range by selecting file systems and file types.
Step 6: Find the lost files with built-in tools.
- Path: It lists files according to their paths.
- Type: It lists files according to their file types.
- Show Lost Files: It only displays the lost files.
- Find: It allows you to find out the lost files by typing continuous part of their file names.
- Filter: It allows you to find out the lost files through narrowing down the files range according to filename/extension, file size, creation/modification date, etc.
- Preview: It allows you to preview the files that don't exceed 100 MB before the data is saved. Besides, it supports 70 file types.
- Export Scan Result: It allows you to export the scan result file. And then you can load this file later through Recovery Result - Load Manually feature to recovery data in that file without a second scanning.
Step 7: Select files and then Save them into other non-system partitions.
If your computer can boot into Windows and you want to recover data, just buy MiniTool Partition Wizard and activate Data Recovery feature.
If you still have problems in solving system thread exception not handled or in recovering data from system crash caused by it, please leave a comment below or email to [email protected] for help. Surely, if you have any other advice or better methods, please also leave a comment below for sharing.