Where does Steam install games? How can I find Steam game folders? Can I move Steam games to another drive? If you have these questions, please read this post, in which MiniTool Partition Wizard shows you how to find Steam game folders and then move them to another drive.
Where Does Steam Install Games?
This might seem like a stupid question but I don't get where games are stored from Steam. When you download a game where do the games get stored? Onto your hard drive in a folder called Steam? On Steam? --- www.reddit.com
Where does steam install games? For those who are not familiar with Steam, this may be a question. They don't know where Steam installs games and how to move the Steam installation and games to another location.
Where does steam install games and how to find them? You can use the following two ways:
1. The Default Location
Steam installs to C:\Program Files\Steam folder by default and files for games installed on Steam are stored in the folder C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\ by default. If you didn't change the default location when installing Steam, you can find these folders by opening File Explorer and going to This PC > C:\Program Files\Steam folder.
2. Custom Location
During the installation of Steam, you have the option to install Steam to a location other than the default. If you installed Steam to a custom location but you forget this location, you can find this folder by opening File Explorer, highlighting This PC, typing "steam" in Search box, and pressing Enter. In this way, you can find Steam folder quickly.
Receiving Seam disk write error during the download/upgrading process? Here are the ways to fix disk write error on Steam.
How to Move Steam Installation and Games?
If the drive storing Steam is full, you can consider moving Steam to another drive. Here is the tutorial about moving Steam installation and games to another drive:
- Log out and exit Steam.
- Open File Explorer and navigate to the folder where Steam is installed.
- Delete all of the files and folders except the SteamApps & Userdatafolder and exe. Before doing this step, it's recommended to backup SteamApps & Userdata folder in advance.
- Cut and paste your Steam folder to the new location, for example: D:\Games\Steam\.
- Launch Steam and it will briefly update. Then you will be ready to play.
- After that, all future game content will be downloaded to the new folder D:\Games\Steam\Steamapps\.
However, if you just want to change the default game installation location, but not want to change Steam installation location and the installed Steam games' location, you can use the following way:
- Open Steam and navigate to Steam client Settings
- Select Steam Library Folders from the Downloads
- Select Add Library Folder to create a new game installation path.
- Right-click the path and set it as the default path. After that, all future installations can be installed there.
Can this post help you? Do you have any doubt about Steam game installation location? If you have other ideas, please leave a comment below for sharing.