uTorrent is powerful download tool. But sometimes, it may freeze when downloading files. What to do if uTorrent keeps freezing? In this post, MiniTool Partition Wizard offers you 7 solutions.
uTorrent Keeps Freezing
uTorrent is a proprietary adware BitTorrent client owned and developed by BitTorrent, Inc. It supports Windows, Mac OS X and GNU/Linux platforms. With over 150 million users, it is the most widely used BitTorrent client outside China, globally only behind Xunlei.
uTorrent uses few computer resources but offers functionality comparable to larger BitTorrent clients such as Vuze or BitComet. Because of its simple interface, outstanding performance, and stability, it is widely acclaimed.
However, no program can ensure it has no error, and uTorrent is no exception. Some people report that uTorrent keeps freezing when downloading contents. A user reports that the uTorrent freezing issue occurs randomly.
No matter the amount of torrents active, ONLY freeze when downloading tho. It freezes for 10 sec, works 20 sec, freeze 30 sec. So its just random... -- forum.utorrent.com
A user reports that the uTorrent freezing issue may be related to hard disk high usage.
I am downloading a 68gb game and it's now at 90% done but after it checks the files, it stops responding and freezes...After utorrent stops responding, HDD activity becomes very high (90%). --- reddit.com
Then, what causes this problem? Possible reasons include:
- uTorrent doesn't run with administrative privileges.
- Windows Firewall is blocking the internet traffic of uTorrent.
- Some Windows updates conflict with the uTorrent client.
- uTorrent’s local configuration files is corrupt, causing the client unable to load all the pre-saved data.
- Proxy servers conflict with uTorrent.
- Installation files of uTorrent client get corrupt.
How to Fix the uTorrent Freezing Issue
To solve the uTorrent freezing issue, you can try the following methods.
Fix 1. Delete the Download Task and Try Again
In most cases, a computer error is just a temporary issue. Deleting the task and trying again may solve the problem. Please do as follows:
- Delete the download task in uTorrent and then close the uTorrent app.
- Right-click on the blank area of the Taskbar and choose Start Task Manager.
- In Processes tab, end any task related to uTorrent. If necessary, you can reboot the PC.
- Right-click on the uTorrent client and choose Run as administrator. Try downloading files again to see whether the problem is solved. Administrative privileges allow apps to run without any barriers from the firewall or have issues with accessing the hard drive.
Fix 2. Disable Antivirus Software
If the first method doesn't work and the uTorrent keeps freezing still, you can run an antivirus scan, making sure the problem is not caused by viruses. If no virus is detected, you can then disable the antivirus software temporarily and configure Firewall to add uTorrent into Firewall white list.
Fix 3. Change the Copy of the Torrent
Sometimes, uTorrent keeps freezing just because your copy of the torrent is incomplete, unavailable or it lacks seeders. In this case you might need to get another version of the file you want to download.
Fix 4. Delete AppData and Disable Proxy Networks
This method can solve uTorrent freezing issue caused by corrupt uTorrent local configure files and conflicting proxy servers. As for detailed steps, please read this post: How to Fix uTorrent Not Responding on Windows 10.
Fix 5. Create a New User Account
Sometimes, corrupt user profiles may also cause uTorrent freezing issue. In this case, you can solve the problem by creating a new user account. Please do as follows:
- Open an administrator account.
- Open Settings window by pressing Windows key + I.
- Go to Accounts > Family & other users and then select Add someone else to this PC on the right panel.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to create a new local account. Then, log into the account and launch uTorrent to see whether the problem is solved.
Many users reported Windows 10 user profile corrupt. How to fix a corrupted user profile Windows 10? This post explores several effective fixes for you.
Fix 6. Uninstall Windows Update or Reinstall uTorrent
Sometmies, uTorrent keeps freezing because of conflicting Windows updates or corrupt uTorrent installation. For example, there is a Windows Update (KB4338818), which was known to be problematic and caused issues with the uTorrent client. If your PC has this update installed, please uninstall it.
Of course, some people also suggest you uninstall uTorrent and then install an older version of uTorrent.
Fix 7. Use Alternative Tool
If all the above methods don't work for you, I recommend you to try other torrent clients like BiglyBT, Deluge, FrostWire, PicoTorrent, qBittorrent, Transmission, etc. Besides, these tools are open-source.