To install and run mods in Skyrim, you may need to make sure SKSE 64 is installed and operated normally first. However, some people report that they have encountered SKSE 64 not working issue. In this post, MiniTool Partition Wizard offers 3 ways to solve this problem.
SKSE 64 Not Working
Skyrim is a very popular video-game among gamers and many people may like to install mods in this game. To install these mods, the premise is the installation of SKSE 64 (Skyrim Script Extender x64). However, some people report that they have encountered SKSE 64 not working issue.
When I load my game, I'll get a notification via SkyUI that my SKSE64 is not running. I tried to reinstall the game to get rid of all older mods. I installed SKSE64 and SkyUI but it's still not working. I have no clue what could be malfunctioning and I have no idea how to find out. I mean I always installed the newest version available... --- steamcommunity.com
Then, how to solve this problem? Please keep reading to get solutions.
Fix 1. Reinstall Corresponding SKSE 64
One of reasons why the SKSE 64 doesn't work is that the installed SKSE 64 version is not compatible with the SSE version. This case usually occurs the first times you use the SKSE 64. To solve this problem, please follow the steps below:
- Right-click the Skyrim shortcut on the desktop and choose Open file location.
- In the folder, right-click the game executable file (.exe file) and choose Properties.
- In the Properties window, skip to Details tab and check Product version
- Go to Skyrim Script Extender website and download the corresponding SKSE 64. In this step, please make sure the runtime build number is the same as the production version of the Skyrim.
But if there is no suitable SKSE 64 version, you may need to roll back the game or update the game. On the other hand, if the SKSE 64 worked well before and then suddenly the SKSE 64 not working issue occurs, this method may not apply to you and you should try other measures.
Nexus Mod Manager is not set up to work with Skyrim. Have you come across the error? How to fix it? This post will provide you with top 5 methods to it.
Fix 2. Allow Skyrim Through Firewall and Antivirus Protection
The Firewall and antivirus software will protect your computer from virus, malwares, etc. However, they may sometimes block some gaming elements, making the SKSE 64 not work. To solve the SKSE 64 not working issue, please refer to the steps below:
- Click on the Start Menuand select the Settings
- Navigate to Updates & Security > Windows Security > Firewall & Network Protection.
- Click Allow an application through firewall
- Click on Change Settings and then grant the necessary permissions. Please allow Steam, Skyrim, and all the Skyrim related applications through both Public and Private
- Click on OK.
- Come back to the Updates & Security > Windows Security page and then click Virus and threat protection.
- Click on the Manage Settings option under the Virus & Threat Protection Settings
- Click on Add or Remove an Exclusion under the Exclusions
- Click on Add an Exclusion and select Folder. Then, add the Skyrim installation folder to this.
After performing the above steps, run the game to see whether the problem is solved.
If you encounter SKYUI error code 1 when launching Skyrim Script Extender on your PC, don't be panic. You can follow the steps in this post to fix it easily.
Fix 3. Disable Faulty Mods
Sometimes, a certain Mod may have errors, causing SKSE 64 not working. In this case, you should disable these problematic mods. And this may solve the problem.