Is pip install not working? The pip install command is used to install packages. If it is not working, you may receive various errors when you run it. This post from MiniTool Partition Wizard offers you 4 ways to solve this issue.
Pip Install Not Working
Pip is the default package-management system written in Python and is used to install and manage software packages. Most distributions of Python come with pip preinstalled.
After installing Python and pip, you can use the pip install command to install packages. The command formula is as follows: pip install some-package-name.
However, some people report that they have encountered the pip install not working issue. When they run the pip install command, they may receive the “pip command not found” or “pip is not recognized” error.
Why does the pip install not working issue occurs? Possible reasons are as follows:
- Pip is not installed.
- Pip is not added to the PATH environment.
- Pip is installed, but it is not compatible with the current environment.
How to Fix the Pip Install Not Working Issue
If you encounter the “pip command not found” or “pip is not recognized” error, you can try the following methods to solve them. But which method should you use? You need to decide after checking Python and pip versions. Here is the guide:
- Open Command Prompt.
- Execute the command “python -v”. It will tell you the python version.
- Execute the command “pip –version”. It will tell you the pip version. If you encounter errors in this step, it means that pip is not installed or not added to the PATH environment.
- Then, you need to see if their versions are the same. If not, you need to update pip or reinstall it.
Way 1. Install Pip
If pip is not installed, you can install it by executing the following commands:
- curl https://bootstrap.pypa.io/get-pip.py -o get-pip.py
- python get-pip.py (If your Python is 3.x version, please execute python3 get-pip.py)
The first command will download the installation script and the second command will run the script. Now, you can find the pip.exe under the Python scripts directory.
This post shows you how to install PIP via Python command on Windows, Mac, and Linux, separately. You can have a try.
Way 2. Add Pip to PATH
If you didn’t change the installation location, the default pip path should be C:UsersUsernameAppDataLocalProgramsPythonPython310Scripts. Now, you should add this path to the environment variables. Here is the guide:
- Press “Windows key + R” to open the Run dialog box.
- In the Run box, type “sysdm.cpl” and press Enter to open the System Properties window.
- Go to the Advanced tab and click Environment Variables.
- Double-click the PATH variable under System Variables.
- Click New, and add the pip path. Then, select OK.
Way 3. Update Pip
If the pip version is lower than the Python version, you may need to upgrade pip using the command “pip install -U pip”. If this command doesn’t work, you can try this command “easy_install –upgrade pip”.
Way 4. Reinstall Python and Pip
If all the above ways don’t work, I recommend you reinstall Python and pip. You need to uninstall Python first and then you can install the latest Python. This time, please remember to install pip and add it to the path.
Are you interested in MiniTool Partition Wizard? This software can help you clone the system, manage disks better, and recover data. If you have this need, you can download it from the official website.