Are you curious about the person who you are talking with on the Internet? Do you know how to track an IP address? In this post, MiniTool Partition Wizard introduces IP addresses in detail and provides some useful methods for you to trace others' IP addresses.
What Is IP address?
IP address is the abbreviation of Internet Protocol address. It’s a number assigned to your device, such as 192.0.2.1. These addresses are the identifiers used by computers to trace correspondences, allowing every online activity performed by a user to be traced back to him or her.
When Email and other data are transferred from a computer to an external server, they are accompanied by the computer’s public IP address.
Have you installed the latest Windows 11? Do you know how to find IP address in Windows 11? Here are some methods and you can choose one to have a try.
Can I Track Other’s IP Address?
Yes, you can. You can track IP addresses as long as the device connecting to you is turned on and no proxy servers or VPNs are blocking it. You just need to learn the methods about how to track someone’s IP address in the next section. You can track another’s IP address successfully.
How to Track an IP Address?
Here are three methods you can choose from to track an IP address.
Method 1: Obtain IP Addresses via Email
Incoming Email is a quick method to find someone’s IP address. If you have already received an Email from the sender whose IP you want to search, you can track his IP address from the Email. Because the Email headers contain key information that tells us where an Email comes from, including an IP address. Here’s the way:
- Find the Email you’re going to track and open the dropdown menu by clicking the three-dots at the top or bottom of the Email.
- Select the option that says something like “open raw Email” or “view original.”
- In the raw Email data, you may find several IP addresses.
- Next, put these addresses into any lookup tool (like WhatsMyIP) to find the sender’s country.
What happens if your IP has been banned? How to unban your IP address? This post would focus on these questions and make a reply.
Method 2: Obtain IP Addresses via Command Prompt
In addition to getting the IP address via Email, you can also use Command Prompt to track the IP address. There are two different commands you can use to track an IP address on Windows. One is using the “ping” command, the other is using the “netstat” command. Here’s the guide.
Using the “ping” command
This method is used to find a website’s IP address.
- Press the Windows and R keys simultaneously to open the Run window.
- Enter “cmd” in the box and click OK to open the Command Prompt window.
- In the Prompt Command window, type “ping” followed by the hostname, allow it to connect and run an IP address from the host.
Using the “netstat” command
This method only works with direct peer-to-peer communication.
- Open the Command Prompt window.
- Type “netstat -an” and press the Enter Then, you will gain the IP address of every established TCP connection.
Using “tracert” command
- Open the Command Prompt
- In the Prompt Command window, type “tracert” followed by the URL of the website in question. For example, tracert bbc.co.uk.
- After that, Windows will run the search and then give you the IP address of the site in the last line of the report.
- Copy the IP address and then go to IP Tracker and paste the address into the box at the bottom of the page.
- Click the Trace IP With IP tracker button and you’ll see a breakdown of the server’s address, name, as well as other useful information.
Do you know how to hide IP address? This post will show you several ways to hide IP address easily. If you don't know, check out this post for detailed steps.
How to Find Someone’s IP Address on Instagram?
If you want to know how to find someone’s IP address on Instagram, you can find the way in this section. Here’s how to do it:
Step 1. Go to the profile of the person whose IP you want to know.
Step 2. Click on the three dots next to their username.
Step 4. Paste the link into the bar and click on “Create URL”. When the results page opens, you will see a new link generated.
Step 5. Next, you need to chat with the person for some time and send them (the shortened) link and use an excuse to let them click this link.
Step 6. When they click on it, refresh the page on the logger website you used, and you will get the person’s IP address at the bottom of the page.
If you use Facebook or Instagram to chat with the person, you might need to switch on the “Hide Bots” option in order to get their genuine IP.
Step 7. Copy the IP address and paste the address into the box at the bottom of the IP Tracker page.
Step 8. Click the Trace IP With IP Tracker button and you’ll see a breakdown of the server’s address, name, as well as other useful information.
Do you know what an IP address is and how to track an IP address? From this post, you can get a full guide for this part.
MiniTool Partition Wizard is an all-in-one partition manager. You can use it for data recovery and disk diagnosis. If you are interested in MiniTool Partition Wizard and want to know more about it, you can visit MiniTool Partition Wizard’s official website by clicking the hyperlink.