This post mainly focuses on PS4 jailbreak, including its definition, pros & cons, necessity, and detailed steps to do that. If you don’t know about it, read this post of MiniTool now!
An Overview of PS4 Jailbreak
Nearly all digital devices consist of hardware and software. The software level restrictions stop people from doing something illegal with the product. Breaking restrictions and performing something you are not allowed is called jailbreak.
To some extent, jailbreaking is not completely illegal. Downloading pirated apps and games is illegal. However, jailbreaking any product can cause a warranty void. It means that your product will be excluded from obtaining updates and support.
For PS4, jailbreaking PS4 meaning making some changes to its firmware. To be specific, add mods, themes, extra features, and so forth.
PS4 vs PS5 digital: which one should you buy? To make a wise choice, you should learn them and compare them on several important aspects.
Pros and Cons of PS4 Jailbreak
Why jailbreak PS4? It offers you some benefits.
- After PS4 jailbreak, you can bypass the payment process and download & play games freely or at a low price.
- PS4 is not backward compatible by default. However, you can play PS2 and PS3 games on PS4 after jailbreak.
- After you jailbreak PS4, you can download preferred ROM and themes. Besides, you can apply different mods in games.
As a coin has two sides, PS4 jailbreaking also has some drawbacks. Here, we list them as follow.
- You can’t play online multiplayer games like Warzone, Apex, and MMO RPG games such as WOW, Skyrim, and so forth after the PS4 jailbreak.
- As your service warranty won’t be available after jailbreak, the service center won’t solve your problem after that.
- You can’t play new games that are about to come out unless they are pirated.
- You might be banned or blocked when you trying to log in your PS4 account. What’s more, you can’t access the PS network and all the benefits that come with the service.
Whether You Should Jailbreak PS4
Generally speaking, you will be restricted when trying to download and install certain games on PS4. Jailbreaking PS4 remove these restrictions and allows you to install games from USB. In addition, you can move your games to the PS4 HDD or external HDD 3.0.
But you should keep in mind that jailbreaking is unofficial and can void warranty. You’d better not jailbreak PS4 unless there’s no other available solutions to your issues. If you insist on jailbreaking, keep reading the content below.
Xbox Series X vs PS5: which one to buy? If you are confused by this question, this post is worth reading. It explains the differences between the two consoles.
How to Jailbreak PS4
PS4 jailbreak is only available for the version 6.72 or below. If the PS4 console has a higher software version, it would be hard to jailbreak the device. Check the version of your PS4 from the official website before jailbreaking the console.
Moreover, prepare a USB drive with 1GB free space at least. Ensure that your PS4 console is compatible with the custom software. Last but not least, get an extraction program for files. After that, follow the steps below to jailbreak PS4.
Step 1: Click here to download the jailbreak file.
Step 2: Put the software on the root of a USB.
Step 3: Insert the USB drive in the PS4 and navigate to Settings > System Update > Update through storage media > Proceed. The console should be in off status before plugging the USB drive. After that, turn on the console.
Step 4: Wait for the PS4 to install the software.
Step 5: Restart your PS4 and move to the System tab.
Step 6: After the correct custom firmware is installed to the console, your PS4 would be jailbroken.