Are you playing Terraria? Some people report that this game won't launch normally. In this post, MiniTool Partition Wizard offers 4 ways to solve the Terraria not launching issue and you can try them one by one.
Terraria is an action-adventure 2D sandbox game developed by Re-Logic. The game was first released for Microsoft Windows on May 16, 2011 and has since been ported to several other platforms including game consoles, smart phones, and tablets.
In the 2D sandbox world, players can explore the game contents, make crafts, build houses, and combat with a variety of creatures. Terraria can be regarded as a Minecraft clone but it puts a greater emphasis on combat and adventure. Terraria received generally favorable reviews from critics and it has been sold over 35 million by the end of 2020.
Just like other programs, Terraria may also encounter some problems during running. Some people report that Terraria won't launch on PC.
I have been trying to work this out for a couple of weeks but it still doesn't work. I have tried reinstalling Terraria, tried reinstalling and fixing DirectX, .NET Framework, Xna etc... but none of them works. ---steamcommunity.com
If you have also encountered this problem, you can try the following methods to solve it.
How to Fix Terraria Not Launching Issue
Before performing the following methods, please make sure:
- Your PC has met Terraria gaming requirements.
- Your PC system is up-to-date.
- Device drivers, especially the GPU driver, are up-to-date.
- Non-essential software is disabled.
- You have verified the integrity of game files.
If you have done the above things but Terraria won't launch still, you can try the following methods.
Have you come across Terraria crashing on startup? A lot of users are troubled by this issue. If you are trying to fix Terraria crashing, there are 6 solutions.
Fix 1. Use tModLoader
tModLoader is a powerful tool for making mods, and it can also be used to be compatible with some mods that must use it. If you have updated Terraria and you are using tModLoader from a previous version, you can try this:
- Right-click on Terraria, hold your cursor over manage, then hit "Browse Files".
- Select everything in there, and delete it.
- Hit Play on steam, it'll give you an error message and then prompt you to re-download Terraria
- Re-Download Terraria.
Fix 2. Run the MSI File
If you play the game through GOG, this method may help you solve the Terraria not launching issue.
- Go to the Terraria system folder.
- Look for a folder named "_redist", and open it.
- Look for a folder named "XNA_40", and open it.
- Run the msi file inside the folder, and follow the instructions.
- If the installation issuccessful, try running Terraria again.
Fix 3. Rename Terraria
If Terraria won't launch through Steam and your profile will go back to online a few seconds later, you can try this method.
- Right-click your Terraria in steam library and click "Properties".
- Click on Local Files and then "Browse Local Files...". This will open your Terraria folder.
- Click on common folder and copy the Terraria folder to your desktop.
- Open the copied Terraria folder and rename exe to something else.
- Close the folder and open steam library. Click on "ADD GAME..." > "Add a Non-Steam Game".
- Click on Browse and then select renamed Terraria executable file.
- click on "ADD SELECTED PROGRAMS".
- Hit PLAY button and play Terraria. It will show for a second that you're playing non-Steam game - XXX, but then it will switch back to normal In-Game - Terraria.
Fix 4. Download Some Dll Files
A user named Grumpy Squid offered this method in forums.terraria.org and many users reported that this method solved the Terraria not launching problem indeed. Please click this link to download the DLL package. Then, please place all 64 bit DLLs into C:\Windows\System32 and place all 32 bit DLLs into C:\Windows\SysWow64.