Do you want to move photos from Google Drive to Google Photos? You may have this need because Google Drive and Google Photos have been disconnected. In this post, MiniTool Partition Wizard offers 3 ways to help you do that.
Why Move Photos from Google Drive to Google Photos?
Before July 2019, Google Drive and Google Photos were linked together. You could sync Google Photos just like Google Drive files. You could open Google Photos from Google Drive and vice versa.
In addition, if you delete a photo from within Google Drive, it also vanishes from Google Photos. If you delete a photo from within Google Photos, it would also be removed from your Google Drive.
However, since July 2019, this connection has been removed, because the connection between these services is confusing.
Two years later, Google announced that Photos will stop the free unlimited storage plan for high-quality photos from June 1, 2021. But, all photos and videos uploaded before June 1 will still not occupy the 15GB limit. Therefore, you can transfer photos and videos from Google Drive to Google Photos during this time to save space.
How to Move Photos from Google Drive to Google Photos?
You can use following 3 ways to move photos from Google drive to Google photos. But before you get started, you should note that:
- The photo must be larger than 256 pixels.
- The file type must be .jpg, .gif, .webp, .tiff, or .raw.
- If you use a Google Account through work or school, you’ll have to download from Google Drive and re-upload to Google Photos.
Then, you can start moving photos from Google Drive to Google Photos.
Method 1. Upload from Google Drive Directly
- On your computer, go to photos.google.com.
- At the top right, click Upload> Google Drive.
- Find and select your photos.
- Click Upload.
Method 2. Download and Upload
- Go to drive.google.com, navigate to the folder containing the photos you want to move, and select the photos you want to move, press the Ctrl key to select multiple photos.
- After selecting all photos, right click and choose Download.
- Now go to photos.google.com, click Upload > Computer, and select the file or folder to upload.
Method 3. Use Google Backup and Sync
Google Backup and Sync is an official application for safely backing up files and photos between Google Drive and Google Photos. You can also use it to back up photos from an SD card, camera, external drive hard drive to Google Drive and Google Photos. Here is the guide:
- Download and install the Backup and Sync on computers.
- Log in to your Google account.
- Select the backup folder, and then select Upload photos and videos to Google Photos > NEXT.
- Backup & Sync will install a folder named Google Drive on your computer. You can drag photos and documents into it for synchronization.
- Click START to sync Google Drive to Google Photos.