Why to Update Acer BIOS
Acer is a multinational technology company founded in 1976. Its products include personal computers, e-sports products and virtual reality equipment. According to IDC’s statistics in the first quarter of 2020, Acer is the world’s fourth-largest computer company and the fourth-largest brand among Windows-based personal computer brands.
It has many popular laptop series including Swift, Aspire, etc. Many people may purchase an Acer laptop. If you also use Acer laptop, sometimes, you may need to update BIOS. BIOS is a set of programs written into a ROM chip on the computer motherboard.
It stores the most important basic input and output programs of the computer, Power-On Self-Test programs (POST), and system self-starting programs. In addition, it can access the system settings specific information from CMOS.
Its main function is to provide the bottom-layer and direct hardware settings and control for the computer. It also provides some system parameters to the operating system.
Updating BIOS can fix bugs, optimize PC performance, and improve PC hardware compatibility, security, and stability.
How to Update BIOS Acer
If you don’t know how to perform Acer BIOS update, you can refer to the following guide:
- Check the PC model (like Swift SF314-52) and BIOS version. You can check them by using Acer Care Center, which is a program built-in Acer PC.
- Go to Acer website and choose Support > Drivers and Manuals.
- Choose PC Category, Series, and Model.
- Expand BIOS/Firmware.
- Download the latest BIOS version.
- Extract the BIOS folder.
- Please keep the AC adpater connected to PC lest the PC shut down suddenly during BIOS update. A sudden shut down may damage the BIOS and make PC unbootable.
- Double-click the BIOS file to run it.
- Read the warning, and then click the OK button if you are prepared.
- The PC will restart to update BIOS.
What if the PC is already unbootable? If you can’t boot into Windows but still want to update the BIOS. You can use programmers. Please refer to the following guide:
- Check the PC model on the label attached at the bottom panel of the PC.
- On a working PC, download the latest BIOS version suitable for the PC model.
- Extract the BIOS folder to get the executable BIOS file.
- Format a USB drive to FAT32 file system and then use it to make a bootable USB drive.
- Copy the BIOS file into the USB drive.
- Connect the USB drive to the Acer PC needing to update BIOS.
- Reboot the Acer and press F2 at the “splash screen” to go into the BIOS settings.
- Once in the BIOS select the Boot Menu and move the USB HDD to the top of the list.
- Press F10 to save and exit.
- Your Acer should now boot from the USB stick.
- In the new OS, run the BIOS file to update BIOS.