How long does it take a PS4 controller to charge? If you are also curious about it, you come to the right place. In this post, MiniTool tells you the answer, potential elements that impact the time, and tips to accelerate the charging process.
When Should You Charge Your PS4 Controller
When the light bar on the controller starts flashing white, it’s time to recharge. In addition, it’s recommended to charge the controller once a year at least to keep it working properly. How long does it take to charge a PS4 controller? The required time varies depending on the specific situations of the controller. Besides, there are some factors affecting the charging time.
This post mainly discusses how long does it take to reset a PC, including the rough time, possible affecting factors, data backup steps, and reset methods.
How Long Does It Take a PS4 Controller to Charge
Generally speaking, it takes about 2 hours to charge the controller when the battery has no remaining charge. However, it may take you more time due to some influencing factors. They are summarized as follows.
- Ambient temperature: You’d better charge the controller when the temperature is between 10 °C and 30 °C (50 °F and 86 °F)
- Battery life: It varies depending on how you use the controller and the environment in which the controller is used and stored.
- Controller brand: The average time is 2 hours if you use Sony DualShock PS4 controllers, but it may be different if you use third-party controllers. For instance, the YCCTEAM Wireless PS4 controller takes around 2.5 hours to charge.
- Concurrent usage: If you use the controller while charging it, it takes you more time to finish the charging process as a part of the charge is used for functioning it.
- Charger specs: The output specs of the charger or charging ports affect the charging time of the PS4 controller too. To be specific, the needed charging time is 1.5-2.5 hours if you use a charging dock or the PS4 USB port. The required time is more if you apply a low-output power charger (less than 5V/800mA, 4W).
- Connection issues: A fault or a connection issue like a broken USB port may result in a charging time increase.
You may suffer from a slow charge due to various reasons such as a wrong charging power rate, a cheaper charging cable, or battery degradation.
After the PS4 controller is fully charged, it should last between 4 and 8 hours. If you take frequent breaks from the game and shut off it when it isn’t in use, it can last up to 8 hours. However, it would die after 4-5 hours if you use it consistently.
This post lists 5 Windows 11 installation ways and the time needed for them. It also lists 3 influence factors. The specific time will vary depending on them.
How to Charge PS4 Controller
It is very simple to charge the PS4 controller. For that, you just need to connect the controller to your PS4 system with a USB cable. Then the controller battery charges. You can see the charge level of the battery on the screen when you press and hold the PS button.
1. Please note that the system must be turned on or in rest mode. You can verify that by checking if the light bar slowly blinks orange. The light bar will turn off after the charging process ends.
2. To charge while the system is in rest mode, choose an option other than Off in Settings > Power Save Settings > Set Features Available in Rest Mode > Supply Power to USB Ports.
How to Speed up PS4 Controller Charging Process
To shorten the PS4 controller charging time, you can pay attention to this section. The tips below will help you speed up the controller charging process.
- Connect the controller to the power source properly.
- Turn off the light bar, speaker, and vibration.
- Use a wall charger or socket.
- Use a charging dock.
- Charge the controller at the range of recommended temperature.
- Ensure that your battery is in a good condition.
- Use the default controller of PS4.
How long does it take for PS4 controller to charge? If everything goes well, it takes you 2 hours. However, the charging time would vary because multiple reasons. To manage your hard drives on your computer, MiniTool Partition Wizard is a good option. It helps you perform hard drive speed tests, make FAT to NTFS conversions (vice versa), break FAT32 file size limits, etc.