Set partition as Primary
About "Set Partition as Primary"As we all know, partitions on a MBR disk can be divided into two types: primary partition and extended partition and the latter can be subdivided into several logical partitions. What we actually see in disk is logical partition and primary partition. Well, in which situation do we need to set partition as primary? How can we set a logical partition as primary?
First of all, we'd like to explain the reason for setting partition as primary.
If you want to install a second operating system to computer but have no more primary partitions, you have to set a logical partition as primary. That is because all the system files and boot files of an operating system must be saved to a primary partition and this partition shouldn't be the partition that saves the files of the original operating system.
In this article, we are going to give you a MiniTool Partition Wizard tutorial to show you how to set partition as primary.
How to Set Partition as Primary2 main limitations in setting partition as primary on MBR disk:
1. You can't finish this task if you already have 3 primary partitions and more than one logical partition on the disk (since a MBR disk can support at most 4 primary partitions or 3 primary partitions and 1 extended partition).
2. Even though you only have 1 or 2 primary partitions, you still can't set a logical partition as primary if the partition on the right side and left side of this logical partition are both logical partitions (since MBR disk can support at most one extended partition; if this task can be done, there will be 2 extended partitions on the disk).
Now, please follow the MiniTool Partition Wizard tutorial given below:
1. Choose the logical partition that needs to be set as primary partition.
2. Choose "Set Partition as Primary" directly from left action panel or
a). from the right-click menu of target logical partition;
b). by clicking "Partition" in the menu bar -> choosing "Modify" -> choosing "Set Partition as Primary".
3. When the pending operation appears, click "Apply" to continue.
4. Tap "Yes" button to confirm changes on selected logical partition.
5. Tap "OK" button in prompt window at the end of task.