Convert MBR Disk to GPT Disk
About "Convert MBR Disk to GPT Disk"Master Boot Record (MBR) and GUID Partitioning Table (GPT) are two very different ways of disk partitioning or disk slicing. Even though they achieve the mutual goal of separating the information for the operating system, they are very different from one another.
These are 2 main differences between MBR disk and GPT disk:
- 1. Number of partitions: a MBR disk supports at most four primary partitions or three primary partitions and one extended partition while a GPT disk can support up to 128 partitions in Windows.
- 2. Size of partition: the size of a single partition in MBR disk can only amount to 2 TB while the largest partition supported by GPT disk is 18 EB.
Note: many other outstanding features can be found in GPT disk.
But these aren’t the only reasons why so many users wish to convert from MBR disk to GPT disk. One of the other amazing features the GPT disk also offers is the ability to store multiple copies of the data within the operating system.
If the data is overwritten or corrupted, the GPT disk can recover the data, so the OS will function again. In contrast, the MBR disk does not have this feature and thus unable to easily recover corrupt or overwritten data.
This explains why a growing number of users would like to convert MBR disk to GPT disk as soon as possible. But how to convert MBR disk to GPT disk without data loss? We suggest using MiniTool Partition Wizard free edition.
Note: the free edition can only convert a data disk to GPT. If you want to convert a system disk to GPT, you'll need to upgrade to advanced edition.
How to Convert MBR Disk to GPT DiskThe downloading and installation process of MiniTool Partition Wizard is easy to finish, even for inexperienced users. Now, let’s see how to do:
Note: MiniTool Partition Wizard can help users convert an MBR disk containing Windows to GPT. But if you want to boot from the GPT disk successfully, UEFI mode should be supported and enabled.
1. Choose the MBR disk you want to convert.
2. Select "Convert MBR Disk to GPT Disk" function through following three ways.
- Click it under the "Convert Disk" list.
- Choose it from the drop-down list of "Disk" menu at the top.
- Right click the target disk and choose it from the pop-up list.
3. Click on "Apply" button in order to carry out pending operations.
4. Choose "Yes" in the pop-up prompt window to start converting disk from MBR to GPT.
5. Click "OK" button at the end of conversion to end the process.