Partition Disks by Using Partition Manager Freeware
When you get a new hard disk and install it on your computer, you are not allowed to use it directly before partitioning it. Here, disk partitioning refers to the creation of one or more partitions on a hard disk, as well as repartition of the existed partitions. You have to partition a hard disk by using a partition tool. Then, you may ask: is there any partition manager freeware available? Of course, there are more than one partition manager which can be used to make disk partitioning. Please see the following introduction.
About Disk Management
Windows snap-in Disk Management can be considered as a free partition manager. Just right click "My Computer", choose "Manage" from the pop-out menu, and in the new window, click "Disk Management" from the submenu of "Storage" to get the Disk Management interface. Then you can use it to do some basic partition operation, such as creating a new partition, extending or shrinking a partition, deleting or formatting a partition, and more.
However, there are some limitations in Disk Management. For instance, in a basic disk, you are not allowed to extend a primary partition if there is no adjacent unallocated space right behind it in the same disk; and you can’t extend a logical partition if there is no adjacent free space following it. These limitations will prevent you from making full use of computer hard disks. In addition, some conversions will cause data loss. For example, if you want to convert a MBR disk to GPT disk, you have to delete all partitions in the target hard disk in advance. So, if there are important data in it, you have to make a backup first, which will waste a lot of time.
Fortunately, some pieces of third party partition managers are designed to get rid of these limitations in a free and effective way. Among all these good and bad software, MiniTool Partition Wizard Free Edition is a great choice.
About MiniTool Partition Wizard
MiniTool Partition Wizard Free Edition is a leader of free partition software and its interface is very concise. This free partition tool helps you break the limitations of Windows built-in disk management. In addition, it not only satisfies your demands for basic disk partition management but also offers you a better experience to assist you to optimize disk usage and protect your data. You can download and install it on your computer to enjoy its powerful functions.
The following introduction will make you better understand of this free partition manager.
1. Supported Windows Operating Systems: Windows XP/Vista/7/8/8.1/10 32 bits and 64 bits.
2. Supported File Systems: FAT12/16/32, NTFS, Ext2/3/4, and exFAT.
3. Working Environment: Fully support Legacy BIOS boot and UEFI boot. By the way, your boot mode setting may influence the installation of Windows OS. If you encounter this kind of problem, you can read this post to find the answer: Windows Cannot Be Installed to a Disk? Here Are Solutions.
For MiniTool Partition Wizard Free Edition, most operations on basic hard disk are free for you.
1. Basic functions: Create/Delete/Format Partition, Move/Resize Partition, Split Partition, Align Partition, Copy Partition, Copy OS Disk from MBR to MBR, Copy OS Disk from GPT to GPT, Copy Data Disk from MBR to MBR/GPT Disk, Copy Data Disk from GPT to GPT Disk, and more.
2. Conversion functions: convert FAT to NTFS and Convert Data Disk to MBR/GPT Disk. In addition, all these conversion functions will not cause data loss.
3. Migration: Migrate OS from MBR to MBR Disk and Migrate OS from GPT to GPT Disk.
4. Others: Rebuild MBR, Surface test, and more.
You can see the following two pictures to get the operations on basic hard disks and partitions of MiniTool Partition Wizard Free Edition.
Tip: 1. This partition manager freeware is using enhanced data protecting mode when you are using the function "Move/Resize Partition".
2. These two functions - Some of the features such as Partition Recovery, Change Cluster Size, Convert NTFS to FAT, and more are not available in the Free Edition.
Tweet Your New Skill
1. MiniTool Partition Wizard Free Edition is used to manage basic hard disk, while if you want to manage dynamic disk at the same time, you should purchase the advanced editions from the official website.
2. This free partition software is not allowed to use on Windows Server OS. If you are using Windows Server OS, please choose to use MiniTool Partition Wizard Server Edition.
3. If you want to know more about the differences between Free Edition and other advanced editions, please see Compare Editions.
Both Windows snap-in Disk Management and MiniTool Partition Wizard Free Edition are free for you to manage the hard disks. However, from the upper introduction, you will see that MiniTool Partition Wizard Free Edition breaks the limitations in Disk Management and offers more useful functions for you. The user-friendly interface enables every average user to apply it easily. Just choose this free partition manager next time when you want to manage your basic hard disks.