Merging partitions to increase space is often done in partition management of Vista. When encountering lack of space, most Vista users will resize partition firstly. And this method is available. If there are partitions that are completely unused or used scarcely, users can merge partition with an inadequate one. And this method facilitates partition expansion in Vista. In merging partition on Vista, the professional partition magic, MiniTool Partition Wizard, is recommended for it has the function of "Merge Partition" and it can merge partitions without damaging data. Then, under what condition is merging partition needed?
When is merge partitions needed?
In Windows vista, if there is partition used less, it should be merged to the partition that needs expanding under the following conditions:
1. When Windows Vista runs more and more slowly, many users firstly want to clear junk in disk. If the system still runs slowly, this situation may caused by lack of space. Merging partitions can solve this problem.
2. Many users like to store large files such as movies or teleplays in disk. Along with the increase of those files, storage space will be inadequate. If users want to store new files without deleting the previous, the only method is to expand partition.
Under these conditions, users can merge partition. But how to merge partitions in Vista?
Merge Partitions in vista with built-in Disk Management
Although Vista built-in Disk Management doesn't cover a Merge Partitions function, merging partition can be realized through the following operations:
1. Click Control Panel in start list to enter interface of Disk Management.
2. Delete the partition adjacent to the one that will be expanded (Vista built-in Disk Management can allocate space to the adjacent partition)
3. Merge the unallocated space to the adjacent partition that will be expanded.
Although this process is completed, deleting partition will lead to data loss. If the two partitions that will be merged are not adjacent to each other, merging partition can not be realized in Vista. So MiniTool Partition Wizard is the best choice to merge partitions in Vista.
Notes for Using MiniTool Partition Wizard to Merge Partition in Vista
It is simple to use MiniTool Partition Wizard to merge partitions in Vista without any influence on data. But the two partitions that will be merged must both be NTFS. If there are FAT/12/16/32 partitions, they must be converted to NTFS by using the function"Convert FAT to NTFS". As the following pictures shows, if users want to merge Partition E: and F:, F: must be converted to NTFS firstly.
After conversion, Partition E: and F: can be merged by using "Merge Partition":
There are detailed instructions and please follow them to convert and merge partitions. NOTE: The partitions that will be merged must be adjacent to each other. If they are not adjacent, users should use "Move/Resize Partition" to adjust the allocation and then merge partitions.
If all partitions in Vista are used heavily, data management may be complicated after merging partition. In this situation, "Move/Resize Partition" of MiniTool Partition Wizard can shrink, move and expand partition. If more information about MiniTool Partition Wizard is wanted, please visit the official website: https://www.partitionwizard.com/.