Best Free Backup Software for Windows 10/8/7/XP
Summary: suffer a lot from data loss? Or worry about this will happen to you in the future? Then, why not use the best free backup software to back up your system, disks and files in advance, and once accidents happen, restore them all back immediately.
Backup of OS & File - Why Is It Important?
Having a copy of your data in another safe location is always wise to prevent data loss, for you never know when accident can happen.
There are a number of reasons that may lead to data loss:
- System crash: system crash is the most common reason that leads to data loss, for you cannot access your computer unless you use some professional data recovery tools to help you.
- Virus infection: virus attack is another cause for data loss. It may affect anywhere of the hard drive, leading to more or less data deletion or data damage.
- Hard drive failure: one hard drive is always endowed with a limited life span, and can fail anytime after a long period of usage. Thus if hard drive fails, data loss happens.
- Computer damage: today computers are designed to be lighter and thinner, thus they are more likely to encounter physical damage. For example, a strong impact or drop may cause your computer unable to boot and repair.
- Computer theft: as more and more people go for a travel with their computers, computer theft happens often. In this case, you have no way to get data back unless you have a copy of backup that is available.
So the bottom line here is: back up operating system or files are very significant for data protection. But do you have any idea that which is the best free backup software that you can use to do essential backup tasks? Next, we will introduce a very popular backup software to you, please read on.
The Best Free Backup Software for Windows 10
What is the best free backup software for Windows 10?
I tried the backup software that comes with Windows but after I clicked on "Backup Now" or something like that it appeared to be working for a few seconds and then stopped and the backup button appeared again. This is on a machine that was upgraded from Windows 7.
When it comes to free Windows backup software, we suggest downloading MiniTool Partition Wizard Free Edition as your first choice, for it is not only capable of system backup, but is also powerful in partition copy and disk clone. With its concise interface and straightaway wizard, you can easily complete each backup task through its key features.
As one of the best free backup software, MiniTool Partition Wizard Free is compatible with the most popular Windows OS, including Windows 10, Windows 8/7/XP and Windows Vista (all editions).
It is recommended to back up data to another hard drive or external hard drive. Thus, the backup data won't be affected even when the source disk goes wrong.
Part 1 Back up Windows 10/8/7
Today Windows 10 backup is arousing hot debate, many users are eager to find a way to protect Windows 10 for fear that it may get corrupted, leading to serious data loss and annoying program reinstallation. MiniTool Partition Wizard offers "Migrate OS to SSD/HD" feature to help you back up Windows 10 to a larger hard drive or faster SSD.
Let's see how it works on this issue:
Before you do:
- Make sure the target disk is basic disk and can be recognized by Windows.
- Make sure the target disk is large enough to hold all data on the source disk.
- Make sure you have backed up or transferred all important data in the target disk to a safe location, for the target disk will be cleaned.
Step 1. Run MiniTool Partition Wizard. Then on the main interface, select "Migrate OS to SSD/HD" feature from the action panel.
Step 2. Select the target disk you just prepared to store Windows 10. Please note that all data on the target disk will be destroyed, which has been mentioned in the former part. So make sure that you have transferred all important data out if there is any, or do it now. Then click "Next" to continue.
Step 3. Here you can see several Copy Options for you. Please select the most suitable one and click "Next".
- Fit partition to entire disk: partitions will fit the entire disk in proportion.
- Copy partitions without resize: partitions will keep their original size. This option is available only when the target disk is equal to or larger than the source disk.
- Edit partitions on this disk: you can edit each partition size according to your needs.
Tip: "Force to align partitions to 1 MB" will improve the performance of target drive if the target disk is an SSD or advanced format disk.
Step 4. Partition Wizard will send out a prompt saying "To boot from the new disk, please configure computer BIOS settings. Make sure the new disk is configured as the default boot disk." If you are going to boot from the target disk, you should keep it in mind. Then click "Finish".
Step 5. Here comes to the preview interface. You can see disk 3 will have an exact copy of the running OS. Finally click "Apply" button to start system backup.
Hot article: complete proposal on how to clone hard drive Windows 7.
Migrate OS to SSD/HD requires a reboot.
Migrate OS to SSD/HD will not remove the original OS.
When the operation is complete, you can set computer to boot from the target disk directly without having to do system restore. Besides, you will find that all files on the desktop and applications installed in system partition are ready to use.
"MiniTool Partition Wizard Free Edition is the best free backup software for Windows 10. With its help you can easily and quickly back up system to deal with system crash…"Click to tweet
Part 2 Back up Entire Disk
Hard drive backup is essential for mass of data protection, hard drive upgrade, and hard drive replacement. This requires that you have another hard drive at hand, and it can be another HDD, SSD, or external hard drive. MiniTool Partition Wizard offers a feature called "Copy Disk Wizard", which is specially designed to back up hard drive with sector-by-sector cloning method (sector-by-sector means that every sector will be cloned no matter it is used or not). Let's see how MiniTool Partition Wizard works on hard drive backup.
Before you do:
- Make sure the target disk you prepared is basic disk and can be recognized by Windows.
- Make sure the target disk is large enough to hold all data on the source disk.
- Back up or transfer all important data in the target disk to a safe location.
Step 1. Launch MiniTool Partition Wizard, on the main interface, choose "Copy Disk Wizard" from action panel.
Step 2. Then you will be lead to the welcome page. Click "Next" to continue.
Step 3. Here choose which disk you want to back up. Click that disk and press "Next" to go on.
Step 4. Now choose the target disk which is the one you prepared just now, after that click "Next" to move on. You will be given the data destroying message, confirm you want to continue if you have already made good preparation.
Step 5. Here comes to an important part: choose copy options. You can choose one of these three options listed below according to your own situation.
- Fit partitions to entire disk: MiniTool Partition Wizard will automatically adjust each partition size on the target disk according to their original partition size proportion.
- Copy partitions without resize: MiniTool Partition Wizard will keep the original partition size on the target disk, which is only available when the target disk is not smaller than the source disk.
- Edit partitions on this disk: MiniTool Partition Wizard allows you to edit each partition size as you wish.
In addition to these copy methods, you can check "Force to align partitions to 1 MB" to improve the performance of the target disk if it is an SSD or advanced format disk.
Step 6. You will see the prompt about how to boot from the destination disk. Keep it in mind and hit "Finish".
Step 7. Here you can preview what is going to happen on the target disk. See! All partitions along with their respective data will be backed up. If you are satisfied with this change, you can hit "Apply" now.
If you are confused about the two features, you can read Migrate OS to SSD/HD VS. Copy Disk in Partition Wizard to make them clear.
Part 3 Back up Partition
Sometimes it is rather necessary to back up only one or two partitions. For example, you may attach great importance to a partition storing travel photos or years of collections. Thus, backup of this partition is indispensable, for you never know when disaster happens. Then how would you do this task? We believe many users are accustomed to copy and paste files to another location, which is indeed helpful. However, we think using "Copy Partition" feature of MiniTool Partition Wizard is a smart choice, for it can copy the whole partition quickly and safely.
Step by step tutorial is showing here:
"Copy Partition" requires that there is some unallocated space on the same disk or another disk to hold all data in the source partition.
Step 1. Launch MiniTool Partition Wizard. On the main interface, select "Copy Partition Wizard" feature from the action panel. You will see a welcome page immediately. Click "Next" to go on.
Step 2. Here please select which partition you want to copy and then hit "Next" to continue..
Step 3. Now select a location to hold the source partition. Please note that it must be unallocated space. Click "Next" to go on.
Step 4. Here you can change the partition size before you click "Finish".
Step 5. See! You will have an exact partition with the original one if you didn't change the partition size. But please note that the partition you get is a logical partition no matter you are backing up a primary partition or logical partition. If you want it to be primary, you can employ "Set Partition Primary".
Why Not Windows Backup and Restore?
Reading here, you must be wondering: how about using Windows Backup and Restore? Well, when it comes to free Windows backup software, Windows Backup and Restore utility - a built-in tool that most Windows users trust - can never be ignored. Then is Windows Backup and Restore the best free backup software? Obviously NOT.
If you have ever used it, you should know that this tool can set schedule backup to continuously back up data files saved in libraries, on the desktop, and in default Windows folders. That is to say, it is not that user-friendly to back up a single partition or the whole drive.
Besides, many users have met different issues when they use this utility, such as error 0X8078002A, sudden backup stop like the example indicates, and so on. Thus, it is suggested to use a piece of professional backup software like MiniTool Partition Wizard to help you.
Data loss can happen to anyone of us without any indication. Thus, back up your system, disks and files in advance frequently. In this post, we list MiniTool Partition Wizard Free Edition as the easiest and best free backup software for Windows users, even for those who are not IT experts. As long as you use it for once, you will know how convenient it is. If you have any questions towards using MiniTool Partition Wizard, please leave comments below or send email to firstname.lastname@example.org.