How Can You Make System Image Recovery in Windows 10?
Summary: System crash or system failure accidentally happens to you in Windows 10, and Windows is unable to boot. In this case, what should you do to ensure your operating system can boot properly? To make a system image recovery Windows 10 is a good choice to restore the system to its previous state.
Before we introduce Windows 10 system image recovery to you, let's learn some information about system image backup.
Overview of System Image Backup
It is believed that most of you have heard the conception of system image when using a computer to deal with things. So, what is a system image? Simply speaking, a system image refers to an exact copy of your system drive. It contains not only the partitions that Windows requires to run (here Windows 10 itself included) but also system files, programs, and settings.
In Windows 10, there is a built-in backup tool to create a system backup image. When reading here, it is likely that you are curious: why need to create a system backup for Windows 10? In brief, it is for system image recovery Windows 10 after Windows fails to boot due to some reasons.
- Disk Failure: This is one of the main causes. Actually, each disk has its own limited usage life. If your hard drive has something wrong, Windows detected a hard disk problem may appear, and more seriously system is unbootable.
- System Crash: System issues often occur, for example, black screen, blue screen and more. And then, Windows is unable to boot normally.
- Virus Infection: The virus is always widespread and attack your computer at all time, which is a threat to your system security.
Once the above cases happen to you, you can't run your computer as normal. So, under this circumstance, to own a system image backup is very important to restore Windows 10 system to its previous normal status. On the other hand, it is also necessary for system backup in Windows 10. If you have many new computers without OS, you can use system image backup to do system migration without reinstalling Windows.
When reading here, it is most likely that you want to know: how to create a system image backup in Windows 10? How to do Windows 10 system restore?
Windows 10 Backup and Restore with Third-party Software
A system image backup includes system setting, programs, and files, so it can be used to completely recover a damaged system to the state it was in when the system image was made if there is something wrong with your operating system. How to create system backup and make a system image recovery Windows 10? Two programs are recommended here, a piece of third-party backup software and Windows 10 Backup Utility.
The Windows 10 Backup Software
In order to create a system backup for Windows 10, many of you choose to use a piece of professional third-party software. When searching such a program on the internet, you will find there are a great variety of backup tools and you don't know which one to choose. Here we highly advise you to use MiniTool ShadowMaker which is researched and developed by MiniTool Solution Ltd. This dedicated Windows 10 backup software can be used as backup software and also is used as system image recovery Windows 10 tool with its powerful features such as "Backup" and "Restore". How to create a system image backup for Windows 10?
Before you start to create a system backup in Windows 10, please free download MiniTool ShadowMaker and install it on your computer.
Step 1: Launch MiniTool ShadowMaker and then choose local backup or remote backup in the pop-up window. Click "Connect" to go to its main interface.
Step 2: Under "Backup" tab, you need to choose source drive and destination drive. Here our software will choose system-related partitions to back up by default. If you install a dual system, here this tool chooses to back up the current OS by default. When selecting the destination, we strongly advise you to choose an external hard drive rather than the disk containing current OS for higher data security. Then click "Back up Now" to begin the system image backup.
By clicking "Schedule", you can make the backup on a regular time. By clicking "Options", you can make many settings for this backup.
Step 3: Then system image backup Windows 10 operation will be performed in "Manage" tab. By clicking the button near "Backup Now" option, you can create a differential backup or incremental backup.
By making Windows 10 system image backup to an external hard drive according to the above guidance, after the system fails to boot, you can use the backup to restore system image from external hard drive. So, you will ask: how do I restore my computer from a backup? MiniTool ShadowMaker can be used here.
From the main interface of MiniTool ShadowMaker, you know this backup tool has a feature called "Restore". If your system can't boot, you need to enter the WinPE environment and then use "Restore" feature to do system image recovery for Windows 10.
Firstly, you need to create a bootable disc to boot your computer. Fortunately, our software provides you with a powerful feature which is called "Media Builder" that enables you to create a bootable CD/DVD or USB flash drive to boot your computer to WinPE.
After finishing the bootable disc creation, please change the BIOS boot order to ensure your computer can boot from the device. And then it is time to begin Windows 10 system restore with MiniTool ShadowMaker. Step-by-step guidance is as follows:
Step 1: After a few seconds, you will enter WinPE. Then MiniTool ShadowMaker will be launched automatically.
Step 2: Enter "Restore" interface, you can see all the back tasks are here. Please choose the system backup and click "Restore" button.
Step 3: Select the backup version according to the backup time, and click "Next" to continue Windows 10 system image recovery.
Step 4: Select volumes to restore from the selected backup file. Here all partitions that the backup contains are checked by default. From the screenshot, you see "MBR and Track 0" which is necessary for the recovery, so don't uncheck it. Then click "Next".
Step 5: Then select a target disk for the recovery of Windows 10. Then click "Start" to continue.
From the interface as follows, you see a notice "Data on the selected disk will be overwritten during restoration". Usually, you will choose the disk originally containing the operating system as the target disk. Then MiniTool ShadowMaker will restore your system image to the original system location.
Step 6: Then MiniTool ShadowMaker will go to the interface of operation progress. Here you need to wait for a few minutes for the system image recovery in Windows 10.
If you want to restore the system image to your another computer, "Universal Restore" feature is available in WinPE. Just click it in "Tools" Window.
Now we have introduced you how to create Windows 10 system image backup to an external hard drive and how to restore system image from external hard drive with the assistance of the third-party backup and restore software - MiniTool ShadowMaker. If you are interested in our software, you can download it now or share it with your friends.
Windows 10 Backup and Restore (Windows 7)
In addition to using the third-party program to do a system backup and restore for Windows 10, some of you probably choose to use Windows 10 built-in tool called Backup and Restore (Windows 7). Follow the guidance below to begin system image backup and restore for Windows 10.
As for system backup with Windows backup utility, it is simple. Just right click on "Start" button to select "Control Panel". Then click "Backup and Restore (Windows 7)" under "System and Security" tab.
1. After opening the backup tool, please click "Create a system image" on the left side.
2. Then you should choose a location where you want to save the backup, a hard disk, a DVD disc or a network location is available. Here we choose to back up to an external hard drive.
3. Next, in the pop-up window, you can see the partition(s) that are required for Windows to run will be included in the system backup.
4. The backup location and the drives will be backed up can be shown then. Please confirm your backup setting and then click "Start backup" button to perform Windows 10 system image backup.
After a few minutes, the backup will be finished. In the case of a system issue, the backup can be used to recover your computer.
How to do system image recovery Windows 10 with the Windows built-in tool? If your Windows cannot boot with a system issue, usually, Windows 10 will automatically enter the interface of WinRE. If your computer is unable to enter the interface, you need to prepare a Windows installation disc to achieve the aim.
1. Then click "Troubleshoot" to go to "Advanced Options" interface and then select "System Image Recovery" to recover Windows by using the specific system image file you have created.
2. Next, select a system image backup. Here the latest available system image is checked by default.
3. Then you don't need to choose "Format and repartition disks", just click "Next".
4. Then you will enter a summary screen, please click "Finish". Then you will receive a warning saying "All data on the drives to be restored will be replaced with the data in the system image. Are you sure you want to continue?", please click "Yes".
MiniTool ShadowMaker VS Backup and Restore (Windows 7)
Now two ways to create system backup and Windows 10 system image recovery are introduced to you. When reading here, you may be curious: which one you should choose? What's the difference between them?
By contrast, you know MiniTool ShadowMaker is more powerful than Windows 10 snap-in Backup and Restore tool. Look at the following aspects:
- The third-party software supports schedule backup, incremental backup, and differential backup. But if you use "Create a system image" feature of Windows Backup and Restore(Window 7), it doesn't support these backup types.
- The software has the feature "Media Builder" which can be used to create a bootable CD/DVD or USB flash drive and boot your failed Windows 10 system. When using Windows built-in backup and restore tool, you probably fail to enter WinRe, but you don't have a Windows installation disc. In order to avoid suffering from this case, MiniTool ShadowMaker is worth of being recommended.
- It is possible that you fail to create a system image with Windows 10 Backup and Restore, for example, Windows backup failed with 0x80780119 code; or Windows cannot find a system image on this computer issue appears when restoring the system.
- The latter tool is time-consuming, including the backup and restore process.
Now we come to the end of this post. In this post, we show you the importance of backup, how to make a system backup and create a system image recovery Windows 10 by two ways including MiniTool ShadowMaker and Windows Backup and Restore (Windows 7), and the comparison of these two tools. By comparison, we recommend you to use the professional software – MiniTool ShadowMaker. Please choose to make a local backup or remote backup of your system or the entire disk for data protection.
Should you have any question or suggestion to this post, please tell us. You can choose to leave a comment in the text box below or email us via email@example.com. Much appreciated.